more glue questions

ed_mines

Does the original gorilla glue contain any solvent? How fast does it "dry" (cure, it's polyurethane). How about viscosity& smell? Does it make strands like the old Walther's goo did?

Anyone familiar with Aleene's tacky glue? How's the viscosity, dry time, bond strength & smell?

Charlie Duckworth

Ed
The gorilla glue I’ve used expanded quite a bit as it dried.

Charlie

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 03:34 PM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:
Ed
The gorilla glue I’ve used expanded quite a bit as it dried.

Charlie
That's what I found the one time I used it. It foams, just like casting resin when it's contaminated with water. That, I think, is it's claim to fame, when you have a poor fitting joint, like the worn out stretchers between chair legs, it kinda sticks, making you think you've done a good job. It's chemically related to Great Stuff, the urethane insulation in a can, that uses the moisture in the air to cause it to foam. I can't see any use for it in freightcar modeling.

Dennis Storzek

irv_thomae

There is another Gorilla product which, although also polyurethane based, does not foam or expand.   It's called "Clear Gorilla Glue", and the label says that methanol may be released while it's curing.   They recommend clamping for 2 hours, which limits but doesn't fully exclude its usefulness in assembling freight cars.   For example, I'd consider it for adding a center-sill to the underside of a flatcar deck.
    I have found it very useful in building benchwork, however.

Irv

CJ Riley <cjriley42@...>

I have used Aleenes for many years with constantly excellent results. It’s tackiness holds things in place as it cures, unlike most white glues.

Robert Ellis <bobjel67@...>

I've used Gorilla Glue for a couple of applications -- nothing to do with modeling -- and Charlie's right: it expands dramatically.  A drop on the point of a pin will end up the size of a pea. It's also impossible to get off. I work in a tire shop, and we had a customer who tried to use it to glue his tire to the rim. We had to burn it off with an acetylene torch, and we wound up throwing the tire away. I would think twice about using it on a model.  Maybe to glue a weight inside a boxcar, but I don't know if it will attack resin.  Good luck.  Bob Ellis.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021, 18:34 Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Ed
The gorilla glue I’ve used expanded quite a bit as it dried.

Charlie

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 5:31 PM ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Does the original gorilla glue contain any solvent? How fast does it "dry" (cure, it's polyurethane). How about viscosity& smell? Does it make strands like the old Walther's goo did?

Anyone familiar with Aleene's tacky glue? How's the viscosity, dry time, bond strength & smell?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

ed_mines

My last employer sold a similar product. It's a moisture curing polyurethane. My title was senior chemist.

It can be pretty nasty stuff, particularly if you spray it. It can harden (polymerize) in your lungs.

ed_mines

My last employer sold something similar to gorilla glue.

Moisture curing polyurethanes can be nasty stuff; they'll harden anywhere there's moisture including your lungs. Those bubbles are a reaction product of the polyurethane & moisture (carbon dioxide?). Whatever the shortcomings (health hazard, color,foaming) polyurethanes are terrific adhesives.

Ordered Allene's tacky glue for $2 from ebay.

Anyone familiar with Aleene's glue sticks? Gorilla 2 sided tape?

Tony Thompson, you are absolutely right - canopy glue is great for cementing metal to plastic.

Andy Carlson

I went to a Dollar Tree store (Nothing over $1) to get some hobby supplies. Nylon spatula knifes for resin casting, sponge paint brushes (4 to a $1 package) and about another half dozen items useful for modeling. I have never used Allene's Tacky Glue before, but for a dollar each, four 3 ounce bottles seemed a great opportunity to try them.

-Andy Carlson, Ojai CA

Ordered Allene's tacky glue for $2 from ebay.

_._,_._,_

Steve SANDIFER

I use Alene’s for numerous non-styrene projects. I have built trestles, stock yards, etc. and really like it. Much better than normal white glue for those jobs.

J. Stephen Sandifer, MMR

I went to a Dollar Tree store (Nothing over $1) to get some hobby supplies. Nylon spatula knifes for resin casting, sponge paint brushes (4 to a $1 package) and about another half dozen items useful for modeling. I have never used Allene's Tacky Glue before, but for a dollar each, four 3 ounce bottles seemed a great opportunity to try them.

-Andy Carlson, Ojai CA

Ordered Allene's tacky glue for $2 from ebay.

Philip Dove

I find Aleenes tacky glue lacks mechanical strength. I have tacked things with it then used a PVA adhesive for the joint.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, 23:31 ed_mines via groups.io, <ed_mines=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Does the original gorilla glue contain any solvent? How fast does it "dry" (cure, it's polyurethane). How about viscosity& smell? Does it make strands like the old Walther's goo did?

Anyone familiar with Aleene's tacky glue? How's the viscosity, dry time, bond strength & smell?

Eric Hansmann

When I work on the B-end details, I insert and glue the wire for the vertical brake staff into a Tichy base. I use canopy glue to tack the assembly into place so I can position the other details. Once the other parts are in place, it’s easy to break the canopy bond, clean up the parts, then attach with CA for permanence.

I did that recently on a pair of Speedwitch Pere Marquette single-sheathed automobile boxcars (88000 series) that I’m back dating to the as-built appearance.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I find Aleenes tacky glue lacks mechanical strength. I have tacked things with it then used a PVA adhesive for the joint.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, 23:31 ed_mines via groups.io, <ed_mines=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Does the original gorilla glue contain any solvent? How fast does it "dry" (cure, it's polyurethane). How about viscosity& smell? Does it make strands like the old Walther's goo did?

Anyone familiar with Aleene's tacky glue? How's the viscosity, dry time, bond strength & smell?

ed_mines

I'll tell you what it lacks, tack.
I thought tacky glue would remain tacky after it dried, like the glue on scotch tape.
No such luck though and it's slow to dry like all water-based adhesives.

Jared Harper

Amen.  I used it once and was very disapointed.

Jared Harper

Armand Premo

The late Dr Denny Ansbach recommended Barge Cement for such purposes.For what it's worth.Armand Premo

Todd Sullivan

I have used Barge Cement (blue tube) for several years, and really like its characteristics.  It is a useful member of my 'glue team'.  I found mine by ordering at an ACE hardware store.

Todd Sullivan

Tim O'Connor

Barge Cement is a standard type of volatile contact cement. As such, it's great stuff !

On 10/7/2021 9:17 PM, Armand Premo via groups.io wrote:
The late Dr Denny Ansbach recommended Barge Cement for such purposes.For what it's worth.Armand Premo

Sterling, Massachusetts

ed_mines

indeed!

ed_mines

I always thought Barge cement was a "new & improved" form of Walthers goo.
Does it form filaments like goo does?

Todd Sullivan

Yes, becaue that is the nature and characteristics of petro-based contact cements.  However, I have found that Barge Cement is less prone to 'string'.  I usually use a toothpick to apply the cement by gathering some on the toothpick, then rolling the toothpick to gather up any strings, then applying it to the part(s) to be cemented.  That has worked pretty well for me, and the bond seems to be stronger than GOO.

Todd Sullivan