Topics

more real oldies

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.122554.CP/viewer

ACL and L&N at Try Street yard in downtown Pittsburgh.  Love that ACD logo!

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

The Try Street Terminal is a great pocket team yard in an urban canyon. While located fairly close to the original Grant Street freight house and the PRR passenger terminal, a tunnel separates the rail activity. I've used the Try Street terminal to illustrate what can be done in a limited area for maximum model railroad operation. Here are two elevated images from August 1935 I share for inspiration.

This is one of the best overall images snapped on August 22, 1935. At the right is the Fourth Avenue passenger station, a commuter stop. In the background is the Try Street Terminal warehouse, which was also rail served. Just to the right of the warehouse is the bridge over the Monongahela River. And of course....freight cars!

This image from August 11, 1935 offers a different angle and a slightly better look at the transfer dock and crane. Seen in both images are gondolas on the far track, which served a scrap outfit.

Lastly, here's a reference on a great site of city plat maps. These are 1923 maps as later editions remain under copyright. You can zoom in and out to explore more of Pittsburgh. See how many railroad team yards you can find from that era.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 6:34 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.122554.CP/viewer

ACL and L&N at Try Street yard in downtown Pittsburgh.  Love that ACD logo!

Elden Gatwood

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#174282) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,

Steve SANDIFER

Is the trolly company installing a crossover?

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

Bruce Smith

It looks like it might be a temporary cross-over with rails at each end that are tapered to allow the trolley cars to get back to the normal rails. It might have been used to allow cars to avoid a construction area or reroute cars temporarily.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jun 12, 2020, at 9:38 AM, James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

[...]

akerboomk

RE: First Try St. terminal photo

I wonder what that “smoke” is coming out of the tank car in the lower-right corner…

--
Ken Akerboom

Todd Sullivan

Yes, I noticed the trolley track and overhead.  The photo is a great illustration of how both looked.  It does look like the trolley track to the right was being reconfigured or rebuilt.  I've never seen that before, and I did some trolley modeling in the 70s and a lot of research into pavement styles.

Todd Sullivan

Schuyler Larrabee

I don’t think so, as those are real frogs in those switches.  When trolley lines needed a temp switch, they’d often (OK, not ALWAYS) make a trackway that would rise up over the near rails, with the diagonal rails on top of the permanent rails.  Those two guys are doing something though.  I think they might be prepping that crossover to be buried in the pavement.  Notice also that the far track slopes down pretty abruptly just at the right side of the image.

Schuyler

[...]

CJ Riley

I had trouble orienting the photo until I realized it was the Panhandle Bridge in the background. My office overlooked this are but it was the 80s and all gone except for the line from the bridge and it was turned into light rail. The terminal building still existed when I left Pittsburgh and I did an architectural examination of the parapets after a collapse on another building caused the city to require it.

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 07:38 AM, James SANDIFER wrote:

Is the trolly company installing a crossover?

It's temporary. Note it's laid on top of the pavement and the ramp rails on each track. Likely they are doing track renewal somplace out of the picture and need the ability to establish a single track section during the non-rush hours.

Dennis Storzek