Topics

Moving Produce in 1928 On line reading via Google Books and Railway Age -

np328

The 1928 bound volume of Railway Age which was scanned and placed onto Google Books had numerous articles on Moving Perishables.
Yes much changed in the shipping of perishables and I and other have written on this list of the speeding up of schedules. One of my earliest enjoyable recollections was crowding into the double sized room on the NW corner of the Holiday Inn at perhaps the first or second Naperville Sunshine meet when Richard Hendrickson took us and a refrigerator car across the US with photos.

   The University of Michigan Transportation Library was kind enough to scan up the entire 1928 version and place it online.
So grab a beverage and find a good chair.
Remember though, it is 1928, the stock market is great, and the future looks so bright, you might even need shades.

Here is a quick list of Perishable articles from around the US.
1 Florida East Coast Perishables
2 Fruits and Vegetables shipped long distances - A look globally in the US
3 Handling and shipping fruit on the Northern Pacific - Things changed by the 40's how ever to me, still a good read.
4 Atlantic Coast Line moving Florida fruit
5 Missouri Pacific moves Texas produce
6 Frisco moving highly perishable strawberries to Kansas City / St. Louis connections
7 New refrigerator cars for the Fruit Growers Express
8 Icing three cars per minute on the IHB

There are some other finds that I will list below with the links.
My advice if you'll allow it is to start with the first overview link and just take your time and work down. You will find something for your modeled line be it railyards in Boston, new train stations like the building of Cleveland's Union Station, Rock Island, L&N, and a host of others, being in the money.  Cab Forwards for the SP, the worlds largest locomotive for a western road, other than all the railroad car info, Steam (of course) railroad car info.

Here are the links to each topic, with a few outliers:
With this first link, scroll down to page 2 explaining the Perishable Freight work up.
 https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false

Florida East Coast Perishables

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q&f=false

Howard Elliott obituary – New Haven, Northern Pacific President

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q&f=false

First All Steel railcars retired

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA113#v=onepage&q&f=false

Fruits and Vegetables shipped long distances

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA153#v=onepage&q&f=false

Handling and shipping fruit on the Northern Pacific

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA253#v=onepage&q&f=false

Atlantic Coast Line moving Florida fruit

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA343#v=onepage&q&f=false

Missouri Pacific moves Texas produce

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA449#v=onepage&q&f=false

Frisco moving highly perishable strawberries to Kansas City / St. Louis connections

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA698#v=onepage&q&f=false

New refrigerator cars for the Fruit Growers Express

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA715#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those looking for a scratch building challenge, a humane livestock car

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA1017#v=onepage&q&f=false

Speculative – solid carbon dioxide refrigerator car

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA1239#v=onepage&q&f=false

Icing three cars per minute on the IHB

https://books.google.com/books?id=lZYlAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA1305#v=onepage&q&f=false

Of the Howard Elliott obit, could someone pass that to the NH Historical Railroad io group?

Hope this is worth your homebound perusal.                           Jim Dick  Roseville, MN