MOW cars, was Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Or perhaps 3D print or work with resin. A number of resinators have offered (and continue to offer) very nice, often RR specific, MOW cars, such as the Westerfield PRR XL and X23 MOW models. Although, even there, sometimes cars are so specific or unusual that kitbashing or scratchbuilding is the order of the day.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>
Reply-To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 04:48 PM, Jason P wrote:

Mr Storzek,

With so many of those cars going into MoW use, would Accurail consider some bunk car bodies with windows and end doors to drop over the under frames? We really do not have any camp cars on the market other than the old Walthers/Train Miniatures models.

Jason, I hate to disappoint you, but Ray has the best suggestion. Accurail proved years ago that there is absolutely NO market for MoW cars with series of ill advised MoW pant and lettering offerings on our 40' steel boxcars. As I recall, some of those hung around ten or fifteen YEARS.

Dennis Storzek

Brian Carlson

Agree with Resin. The NKPHTS had rider cars cast in resin. We sold at least 75. Maybe 100? 
Several years have passed I can’t recall if I did 75 or 100 overall. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jun 8, 2022, at 1:58 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

Or perhaps 3D print or work with resin. A number of resinators have offered (and continue to offer) very nice, often RR specific, MOW cars, such as the Westerfield PRR XL and X23 MOW models. Although, even there, sometimes cars are so specific or unusual that kitbashing or scratchbuilding is the order of the day.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Mr Storzek,

With so many of those cars going into MoW use, would Accurail consider some bunk car bodies with windows and end doors to drop over the under frames? We really do not have any camp cars on the market other than the old Walthers/Train Miniatures models.

Jason, I hate to disappoint you, but Ray has the best suggestion. Accurail proved years ago that there is absolutely NO market for MoW cars with series of ill advised MoW pant and lettering offerings on our 40' steel boxcars. As I recall, some of those hung around ten or fifteen YEARS.

Dennis Storzek

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Steve SANDIFER

Sunshine did a set based on ATSF as well. Of course the Resin mfg. depend on modelers to produce the masters from which they cast.

In my look at ATSF MOW cars, there did not seem to be standard plans.  The shop would take an old box car and custom build a car based on the need. 

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 4:06 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] MOW cars, was Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Agree with Resin. The NKPHTS had rider cars cast in resin. We sold at least 75. Maybe 100? 

Several years have passed I can’t recall if I did 75 or 100 overall. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jun 8, 2022, at 1:58 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Mr Storzek,

Dennis Storzek

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

mopacfirst

Not sure why, but the 40' steel boxcars didn't seem to be well represented in later MoW builds.  One supposition I have is that more of the 40' steel cars from the forties and fifties tended to be retired because of obsolescence based of cubic capacity by the sixties - seventies, either scrapped or converted to 50' cars.  Many of the box-type MoW cars that existed in the forties - fifties were still around, having been converted from single- or double-sheathed cars, or (in the case of MP) steel-side rebuilds that were obsolete because of their small size.  Beyond the time of this list, much larger and more modern cars started to go to MoW, displacing these older cars.  In other words, the 40' steel cars tended to be just in the wrong time frame for much conversion to MoW.  Of course there are exceptions, like the UP box in Portola that's in full freight car scheme for its era but in silver with black lettering.

Another explanation is that the all-steel cars had more value as scrap than the old steel-underframe cars, so they perhaps were more likely to be cut up than converted to MoW.

Ron Merrick

Steve SANDIFER

It could also be that railroads cut back on the use of sleeping facility type work cars. Unionized workers went to motels and restaurants instead of sleeping on the rails. 

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of mopacfirst
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 1:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] MOW cars, was Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Not sure why, but the 40' steel boxcars didn't seem to be well represented in later MoW builds.  One supposition I have is that more of the 40' steel cars from the forties and fifties tended to be retired because of obsolescence based of cubic capacity by the sixties - seventies, either scrapped or converted to 50' cars.  Many of the box-type MoW cars that existed in the forties - fifties were still around, having been converted from single- or double-sheathed cars, or (in the case of MP) steel-side rebuilds that were obsolete because of their small size.  Beyond the time of this list, much larger and more modern cars started to go to MoW, displacing these older cars.  In other words, the 40' steel cars tended to be just in the wrong time frame for much conversion to MoW.  Of course there are exceptions, like the UP box in Portola that's in full freight car scheme for its era but in silver with black lettering.

Another explanation is that the all-steel cars had more value as scrap than the old steel-underframe cars, so they perhaps were more likely to be cut up than converted to MoW.

Ron Merrick

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

Even into the seventies the prewar steel cars had utility for certain classes of rough freight. I remember in the mid seventies riding the Lake St. "L" and seeing the C&NW team track yard at Rockwell St. (four block long tracks) filled with 40' steel boxcars. This was at the height of the used brick craze, where the "Chicago pink" common brick was shipped all over the country as designer 'rustic' building material, just as fast as they could tear condemned inner city buildings down. At that time the brick was shipped loose, stacked just three or four layers deep all across the car floor, loaded by laborers by hand with brick tongs. Later the businesses marketing the brick dropped off pallets and wrappers at the demolition sites and the day labor that was cleaning the bricks also stacked them.

The best reason to use old wood boxcars for bunk cars is they are easier to heat, think of the difference in volume between the typical caboose and a AAR boxcar, and the wood cars stay cooler during the summer. Also, starting in the late fifties there was a lot of older passenger cars being retired, and those were preferred for camp car conversions

Dennis Storzek

Ted Larson

In 60s I recall structures similar to trailer homes mounted on flat cars for MoW workers.  

--
Ted Larson
Trainweb.org/MHRR   ---   GN in 1965   ---   NASG.org 

Ken Adams

Accurail is still the source of foobie MW cars:

SPMW was painted FCR prior to 1956.  Don't look too closely as the sides are a somewhat botched attempt to remove the deep weathered grooving. 
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Owner PlasticFreightCarBuilders@groups.io

Tim O'Connor

Well, it's only a 2.0 to 3.0 on the 10 point Foobie Scale. It could be worse! :-D

And even fine scale models often have goofy wood grooves. Properly depicting wood sheathing
(horizontal or vertical boards) remains a point of contention. :-\

Tim O'Connor

On 6/11/2022 12:05 PM, Ken Adams wrote:
Accurail is still the source of foobie MW cars:

SPMW was painted FCR prior to 1956.  Don't look too closely as the sides are a somewhat botched attempt to remove the deep weathered grooving. 
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Ken Adams

Tim, 

The foobie part is that the boxcar basis should have been a 10'6" IH car. I modified some of the dimensions of the area around the door to compensate. The picture you included was the primary source material originally from Jason Hill's blog. The picture is dated after the SP changed the MOW scheme to light grey. 

This whole project for myself and one other modeler I know of doing similar bashes for the scale repair car was last years Bachman scale test car which was very close to the SP prototype.  My fellow modeler made white and black lettering decals for the scale repair and scale test cars.  The SP scale test car was black before 1956. 

There is a new SPH&TS book in the works on SP MOW equipment but it has not yet been published. The previous book on the subject is now out of print and has become a highly priced collectors item. 
--
Ken Adams

Tim O'Connor

I'm fairly sure the B-50-10's were not 10-6 IH box cars.

On 6/11/2022 1:29 PM, Ken Adams wrote:
Tim, 

The foobie part is that the boxcar basis should have been a 10'6" IH car. I modified some of the dimensions of the area around the door to compensate. The picture you included was the primary source material originally from Jason Hill's blog. The picture is dated after the SP changed the MOW scheme to light grey. 

There is a new SPH&TS book in the works on SP MOW equipment but it has not yet been published. The previous book on the subject is now out of print and has become a highly priced collectors item. 
--
Ken Adams

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts