From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 04:48 PM, Jason P wrote:

Mr Storzek,

With so many of those cars going into MoW use, would Accurail consider some bunk car bodies with windows and end doors to drop over the under frames? We really do not have any camp cars on the market other than the old Walthers/Train Miniatures models.

Jason, I hate to disappoint you, but Ray has the best suggestion. Accurail proved years ago that there is absolutely NO market for MoW cars with series of ill advised MoW pant and lettering offerings on our 40' steel boxcars. As I recall, some of those hung around ten or fifteen YEARS.

Dennis Storzek

Brian Carlson

Agree with Resin. The NKPHTS had rider cars cast in resin. We sold at least 75. Maybe 100?
Several years have passed I can’t recall if I did 75 or 100 overall.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 8, 2022, at 1:58 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

Or perhaps 3D print or work with resin. A number of resinators have offered (and continue to offer) very nice, often RR specific, MOW cars, such as the Westerfield PRR XL and X23 MOW models. Although, even there, sometimes cars are so specific or unusual that kitbashing or scratchbuilding is the order of the day.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Steve SANDIFER

Sunshine did a set based on ATSF as well. Of course the Resin mfg. depend on modelers to produce the masters from which they cast.

In my look at ATSF MOW cars, there did not seem to be standard plans.  The shop would take an old box car and custom build a car based on the need.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 04:48 PM, Jason P wrote:

Mr Storzek,

With so many of those cars going into MoW use, would Accurail consider some bunk car bodies with windows and end doors to drop over the under frames? We really do not have any camp cars on the market other than the old Walthers/Train Miniatures models.

Jason, I hate to disappoint you, but Ray has the best suggestion. Accurail proved years ago that there is absolutely NO market for MoW cars with series of ill advised MoW pant and lettering offerings on our 40' steel boxcars. As I recall, some of those hung around ten or fifteen YEARS.

Dennis Storzek

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

mopacfirst

Not sure why, but the 40' steel boxcars didn't seem to be well represented in later MoW builds.  One supposition I have is that more of the 40' steel cars from the forties and fifties tended to be retired because of obsolescence based of cubic capacity by the sixties - seventies, either scrapped or converted to 50' cars.  Many of the box-type MoW cars that existed in the forties - fifties were still around, having been converted from single- or double-sheathed cars, or (in the case of MP) steel-side rebuilds that were obsolete because of their small size.  Beyond the time of this list, much larger and more modern cars started to go to MoW, displacing these older cars.  In other words, the 40' steel cars tended to be just in the wrong time frame for much conversion to MoW.  Of course there are exceptions, like the UP box in Portola that's in full freight car scheme for its era but in silver with black lettering.

Another explanation is that the all-steel cars had more value as scrap than the old steel-underframe cars, so they perhaps were more likely to be cut up than converted to MoW.

Ron Merrick

Steve SANDIFER

It could also be that railroads cut back on the use of sleeping facility type work cars. Unionized workers went to motels and restaurants instead of sleeping on the rails.

J. Stephen Sandifer