Topics

My correction to the latest IMRC PFE Reefers

Steve and Barb Hile

I was excited to get one of the PFE R-30-18 models this spring, but the excitement was tempered when many noted the strange way the brake components were assembled.  After some discussions with Dick Harley and others, I documented my changes in a short presentation that is attached.

Be sure to check out Dick’s updated web pages on PFE reefers.  He has added a lot to his site at he pondered these cars.

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFETrainPhotos/PFE-Wood-Ice-Reefers/Bettendorf-vs-Built-Up/

Steve Hile

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Steve, for providing this great service to your fellow modelers.  Saved for future use!

Schuyler

I was excited to get one of the PFE R-30-18 models this spring, but the excitement was tempered when many noted the strange way the brake components were assembled.  After some discussions with Dick Harley and others, I documented my changes in a short presentation that is attached.

Be sure to check out Dick’s updated web pages on PFE reefers.  He has added a lot to his site at he pondered these cars.

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFETrainPhotos/PFE-Wood-Ice-Reefers/Bettendorf-vs-Built-Up/

Steve Hile

Gary Roe

Agreed!

Not only saved; but printed out to store with the cars until such time as it is needed.

Thanks Steve!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 11:11:52 AM CDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Thanks, Steve, for providing this great service to your fellow modelers.  Saved for future use!

Schuyler

I was excited to get one of the PFE R-30-18 models this spring, but the excitement was tempered when many noted the strange way the brake components were assembled.  After some discussions with Dick Harley and others, I documented my changes in a short presentation that is attached.

Be sure to check out Dick’s updated web pages on PFE reefers.  He has added a lot to his site at he pondered these cars.

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFETrainPhotos/PFE-Wood-Ice-Reefers/Bettendorf-vs-Built-Up/

Steve Hile

spsalso

Thank you for sharing, Steve!

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Andy Cich

Steve,

Excellent presentation? The pictures, arrows, and captions describe the process very clearly.

Did you have much trouble breaking the glue joints and getting the parts removed? It looks like you were able to salvage the AB valve and cosmetically repair it. I considered asking Intermountain for warranty parts, but it looks like you were able to re-use everything.

Andy Cich

I was excited to get one of the PFE R-30-18 models this spring, but the excitement was tempered when many noted the strange way the brake components were assembled.  After some discussions with Dick Harley and others, I documented my changes in a short presentation that is attached.

Be sure to check out Dick’s updated web pages on PFE reefers.  He has added a lot to his site at he pondered these cars.

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFETrainPhotos/PFE-Wood-Ice-Reefers/Bettendorf-vs-Built-Up/

Steve Hile

John Sykes III

Steve:

Excellent!  I ordered a half dozen CalScale brake sets, then, like you, found that I could do the corrections with just a little bit of brass wire.  I'll just add them to my brake parts drawer for future use.

-- John