Mystery boxcar

Friends,

I did a blow up of the cars in front of the Hills Brothers Coffee plant in San Francisco from one of the photos we discussed. Can anyone identify the wooden boxcar in this clip? With all wooden ends, it is definitely NOT HBCX 161 or 162. It might be an earlier boxcar they owned, or it could be an interchange car from another railroad.

Interestingly, I don't see HBCX on Ian Cranstone's list of reporting marks, though he does list HBKX for Hills Brothers from 7/1932-7 1937. An error maybe, or another mystery? Can anyone check ORERS for this? I only have 1958, and Hills Brothers are not listed there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

mel perry

hi garth:
i'm going to go out on a limb, (the saw is
already working), and due to the distorted pixelization, goingbto say this
is an earlier car, the left side, i believe
reads hill brothers r.r.  can't make out the
rest of the letters/numbers, makes you
stop and think, thatvas long as that photo has been around, no one thought
of blowing it up, makes you wish that
someone had a bigger screen and better
ocr software, oh well, at least you.opened pandora's box
EXCELLENT CATCH
;-)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021, 5:50 AM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

I did a blow up of the cars in front of the Hills Brothers Coffee plant in San Francisco from one of the photos we discussed. Can anyone identify the wooden boxcar in this clip? With all wooden ends, it is definitely NOT HBCX 161 or 162. It might be an earlier boxcar they owned, or it could be an interchange car from another railroad.

Interestingly, I don't see HBCX on Ian Cranstone's list of reporting marks, though he does list HBKX for Hills Brothers from 7/1932-7 1937. An error maybe, or another mystery? Can anyone check ORERS for this? I only have 1958, and Hills Brothers are not listed there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Garth and List Members,

Garth asked: "Can anyone check ORERS for this?"

I checked my Dec 1930 ORER, and HBKX 161-162 are listed, data submitted on Aug 1930 (see attached image)

With respect to Ian Cranstone's list of reporting marks, Garth further said: "though he does list HBKX for Hills Brothers from 7/1932-7 1937"

Apparently we can extend this date out a bit to go back to the year 1930. Is Ian on this list? If not, perhaps someone would care to alert him to this new tidbit of information?

Lastly, I checked my May 1926 ORER, and Hills Bros is NOT listed.

Claus Schlund

I did a blow up of the cars in front of the Hills Brothers Coffee plant in San Francisco from one of the photos we discussed. Can anyone identify the wooden boxcar in this clip? With all wooden ends, it is definitely NOT HBCX 161 or 162. It might be an earlier boxcar they owned, or it could be an interchange car from another railroad.

Interestingly, I don't see HBCX on Ian Cranstone's list of reporting marks, though he does list HBKX for Hills Brothers from 7/1932-7 1937. An error maybe, or another mystery? Can anyone check ORERS for this? I only have 1958, and Hills Brothers are not listed there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Chris,

Right here. You will probably have to shrink it down a bit.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆