Topics

Mystery boxcars - anyone know what these are based off or of any similar cars?

CapnMatter

I bought these cars for cheap at a trainshow the other day, I knew when I bought them they'd need work. I'm sure there's cars that line up with these, I just don't know of what. Anyone know?

Dimensions-
141.2mm long, or in HO 40ft
33.3mm wide, or 9ft 6in
35.9mm tall, or about 10ft tall

Jim Gates

The white one appears to be a Train Miniature stock no 8073, part of the car spotter's series. Later released as stock no 2264. I believe the prototype actually had the doors down at the end of the side.

Jim Gates

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 12:25:11 PM CST, CapnMatter <capnmatter@...> wrote:

I bought these cars for cheap at a trainshow the other day, I knew when I bought them they'd need work. I'm sure there's cars that line up with these, I just don't know of what. Anyone know?

Dimensions-
141.2mm long, or in HO 40ft
33.3mm wide, or 9ft 6in
35.9mm tall, or about 10ft tall

Todd Sullivan

They look like Train Miniature double wood sheathed steel end 40ft boxcars that have no particular prototype, AFAIK.

Todd Sullivan

CapnMatter

That's what I was thinking company wise, and I figured they were freelance designs. I would like to kitbash them to 'proper' prototype cars, if we can find cars that match up to the dimensions (or if I have to cut it down, length wise.)

I just realized I did forget to measure the door. I'll get that as soon as possible, as I'm out of the house when writing this. Any other measurements that I should take when I can?

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021, 12:43 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
They look like Train Miniature double wood sheathed steel end 40ft boxcars that have no particular prototype, AFAIK.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan  wrote:

They look like Train Miniature double wood sheathed steel end 40ft boxcars that have no particular prototype, AFAIK.

Definitely Train Miniature. That whole line was supposed to represent various 1920s cars, but they made MANY compromises so they could use one underframe and interchange the molds for ends, sides and roofs. A  number of the permutations that they did produce had no prototype. But the basic cars were SUPPOSED to have prototypes.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Cap,

As others have noted, these are Train Miniature cars. The Stark Trees boxcar with wooden ends might be convertible to a number of prototypes, especially if you shave off the grabs and don't count roof battens, except for that side sill that sticks out so alarmingly. Of course the door tracks and those huge Athearn-like claws are a serious flaw.

The 3/3/3 end on the SP car would be rarity. This one might be better if you cut the ends off and replaced them with Tichy or Westerfield pieces, depending on your possible prototype.

In general TM boxcars might have some historic value, but they really don't stand up to modern scrutiny. I had a mess of TM boxcars from when they were pretty much the only game in town, and all were sold off long ago except one I reworked with added separate details and custom lettering. Their all-wood refrigerator cars might have more applications for kit-bashing as reefers or boxcars (they lack that annoying sill), especially for a fictional private roadname. I have a couple of reefers that were on their way to becoming early boxcars for my Virginia Midland, but they're still sitting on my workbench. Someday maybe.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM CapnMatter <capnmatter@...> wrote:
I bought these cars for cheap at a trainshow the other day, I knew when I bought them they'd need work. I'm sure there's cars that line up with these, I just don't know of what. Anyone know?

Dimensions-
141.2mm long, or in HO 40ft
33.3mm wide, or 9ft 6in
35.9mm tall, or about 10ft tall

Attachments:

CapnMatter

Thanks for the advice, Garth. When I bought the cars I had seen they needed grab irons and brake detail. I hadn't noticed that the SP car had metal ends when I bought it, I had thought it was identical to the Stark Trees. I'm not against doing cutting work and making or buying new parts as needed. I'm largely looking for prototypes that I can perhaps choose as reference for rebuilding and repainting.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021, 3:02 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim O'Connor

For how many years was the TM steel box car the only model that could stand in for the X29? :-D

Tim O'

On 2/28/2021 2:07 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Todd Sullivan  wrote:

They look like Train Miniature double wood sheathed steel end 40ft boxcars that have no particular prototype, AFAIK.

Definitely Train Miniature. That whole line was supposed to represent various 1920s cars, but they made MANY compromises so they could use one underframe and interchange the molds for ends, sides and roofs. A  number of the permutations that they did produce had no prototype. But the basic cars were SUPPOSED to have prototypes.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ray Carson

I'm glad the Red Caboose (Intermountain) X29s are a thing. I wish Intermountain made more of them. Unbuilt kits all over the place are also good.

Jack Mullen

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 01:01 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
The 3/3/3 end on the SP car would be rarity.
I really wonder about those ends. The 3/3/3 dreadnaught was used in the '20s on 10' IH auto cars. The T-M model is more like 8'6", maybe 9' IH. Maybe they reduced the rib spacing ??

Jack Mullen

al_brown03

Years ago I detailed up one of those TM double-sheathed boxcars with the Dreadnaught end, as a stand-in for a Lehigh Valley '24 ARA double-sheathed boxcar. The discrepancy between the 3/3/3 end, and the correct 4/4 (I think it is), I just ignored.
<sirens wail>

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.