Topics

N&W Boxcar 47302 (Round Roof)

Bob Chaparro

This photo is from the Norfolk Southern Archive. The Archive is a collection of company photos from Norfolk Southern and its legacy railroads on this website:

https://norfolksouthern.tumblr.com/archive

N&W Boxcar 47302 (Round Roof)

https://norfolksouthern.tumblr.com/post/184106626017/its-tbt-throwback-thursday-nearly-seventy-years

Caption:

"Nearly seventy years ago—on Thursday, September 15, 1949—a Norfolk & Western train made a stop at the Streitmann Biscuit Company near Cincinnati, Ohio.

The bakery produced more than 100 different varieties of crackers and cookies, including honey graham crackers, Opera Crème cookies, and Zesta saltine crackers. By 1951, production amounted to 1,321 carloads of outbound traffic annually, which was either delivered by N&W to its destination or originated on the N&W for delivery by other railroads."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jesus Pe�a

Another Nice find from Bob,

if you look closely on the second car, it is a ATSF car with the "BUY WAR BONDS" slogan to the left of the door. I was unable to read the road number on my small screen

Jesus Peña
Concord, CA.

--
Jesus Peña
Concord,California

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Jesus,

Looks to me like the the AT&SF car’s number is xx514 or maybe xxx514.  The digit immediately before the “514” might be a “3,” but I’m not sure.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

James SANDIFER

I like the fact that the Santa Fe car still has “Buy War Bonds” on it at this late date.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

tyesac@aol.com

A quick look at the Sunshine flyers page shows that this would be one of the 368 out of 1,535  USRA rebuit 40' box cars in the Bx36 class, so, the first three numbers would be 148000 through 149000's.   To bad the end reporting marks are completely obscured by dirt.

Tom Casey

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:54 PM

[...]

Thanks to Ralph and Tom, complileing thier research and photo examination and assuming the "3" is actuall an "8" One may deduce the road number is 148514

just taking a wild swing at the ball

Jesus Peña
Concord, Ca

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:54 PM

[...]

I suspect you’ve nailed.  What I thought might be a three could easily be an eight.  Those two numbers are often difficult to distinguish at that angle and resolution.

Thanks for putting it all together.

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:54 PM

[...]

According to Richard Hendrickson, Santa Fe applied the Buy War Bonds to about 200 BX-36 box cars at the Argentine shops between September and December of 1942. Then the company decided to do 200 more in early 1943, however only 168 additional ones were done by the end of the year. A memo on March 11, 1947, said to removed that slogan as soon as possible. However, capturing those 368 cars empty heading through Argentine was not an easy task and some may have lasted into the early 1950s.  Richard said all were BX-36 (Sunshine to the rescue). In the Santa Fe Painting and Lettering guide he includes all of the numbers for these cars, 148912 or 149512 being the only options I see on his list for this photo.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

James,

Are you also accounting for “Grand Canyon” slogan for the two cars that you listed ?

Thanks

Jesus Peña
Concord, Ca

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 2:38 PM, James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

[...]

According to the list given in the Sunshine instructions, the 148912 would have the Chief slogan and the 149512 is “incomplete.”  However, the painting and lettering guide says the 148497 was Grand Canyon in a photo while the Sunshine instructions say it was in Scout slogan. A photo of 148516 and 148533 shows El Capitan while Sunshine says they are Scout. Both could be accurate as when a car was repainted it could have received a different slogan.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

Thanks to all for all of your helpful comments, I own the Sunshine kit and I have yet to choose the slogan and road number for my model

Jesus Peña
Concord, Ca