N&W gon loaded with coal in 1938 Kentucky

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

We get a nice view of N&W coal hauling cars, including a N&W gon loaded with coal, in the image linked below. Sadly, the gon reporting marks are just a little too indistinct to make out.

More details at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Andy Carlson

Looks like N&W 95762 to me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Monday, April 12, 2021, 1:23:19 PM PDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

We get a nice view of N&W coal hauling cars, including a N&W gon loaded with coal, in the image linked below. Sadly, the gon reporting marks are just a little too indistinct to make out.

More details at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

_._,_._,

James Brewer

N&W 95762 would be N&W Class GU, #93600 - 97599; cars built in 1925 at a cost of $1,714.82; cars  in series 95600 - 965599 were built by Pressed Steel Car Co.  See Norfolk and Western Coal Cars, 1881 - 1998, by Andrew Dow, page 93.

Jim Brewer

Tim O'Connor

Could be. The N&W had almost 5,000 gondolas with drop doors in several 90000's series in 1940.
They had different interior heights and lengths, which is kind of weird... And look at the size of the coal
chunks in the gondola! Gotta be somewhat difficult trying to remove the coal through those small doors in
the floor. I think Sunshine, Pocahontas and Speedwitch all offered N&W low side gondola kits.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/12/2021 4:38 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Looks like N&W 95762 to me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Monday, April 12, 2021, 1:23:19 PM PDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

We get a nice view of N&W coal hauling cars, including a N&W gon loaded with coal, in the image linked below. Sadly, the gon reporting marks are just a little too indistinct to make out.

More details at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sterling, Massachusetts