Topics

N&W Ladderless Tank Car

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

As I was wandering through the N&W photos on the Virginia Tech web site ( https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/browse.php?folio_ID=/trans ), I stumbled upon the attached photo of an N&W tank car. It was part of the group "Norfolk and Western Railroad Photograph Negatives 8X10 black & white" that are presented in reverse as negatives rather than as B&W prints.

I found the lack of a side ladder up to the dome platform very curious, so I downloaded it and and flipped the tones with Graphic Converter for your enjoyment and approval. Why this car should be missing its ladder is beyond me. I see no wreck damage. I can understand no ladder if there is no platform on that side of the car. The car is almost pristine, so maybe they just hadn't gotten around to putting on the ladder after repairs or repainting. Enjoy the mystery.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

Well, maybe I should have added the link.

Garth

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford via groups.io <mallardlodge1000=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Friends,

As I was wandering through the N&W photos on the Virginia Tech web site ( https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/browse.php?folio_ID=/trans ), I stumbled upon the attached photo of an N&W tank car. It was part of the group "Norfolk and Western Railroad Photograph Negatives 8X10 black & white" that are presented in reverse as negatives rather than as B&W prints.

I found the lack of a side ladder up to the dome platform very curious, so I downloaded it and and flipped the tones with Graphic Converter for your enjoyment and approval. Why this car should be missing its ladder is beyond me. I see no wreck damage. I can understand no ladder if there is no platform on that side of the car. The car is almost pristine, so maybe they just hadn't gotten around to putting on the ladder after repairs or repainting. Enjoy the mystery.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

Rich C

Garth, The ladder is on the other side of the car. Many people are not aware that most general service tank cars had only one ladder!

Rich

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:56:15 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Garth

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford via groups.io <mallardlodge1000=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Friends,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

Tony Thompson

Garth, The ladder is on the other side of the car. Many people are not aware that most general service tank cars had only one ladder!

But Garth is right that usually there is no dome walk if there is no ladder. Usually.

Tony Thompson

Rich,

I'm well aware that many tank cars did have ladders on one side only. That said, I've never seen a photo of a tank car that had a dome platform on both sides, and only one ladder. Usually the "back side" is plain. Maybe this is correct for this car's class. I would love to see more photographs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rich

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:56:15 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Garth

Friends,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

Mark Vinski

What I think are chalk guidelines used to keep the lettering straight look like decal edges. They apparently did not help to keep the reporting marks and stripes straight.
Mark Vinski

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

when I saw the car in this clean condition and realized that 12-wheel "battleship" gondola in the back ground in about same condition I think it could have been some promoting event to show these cars, and maybe the tank car just wasn't completely finished, which didn't matter if photographed only from the other side?

Regards

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. August 2020 um 01:09 Uhr
Von: "Garth Groff and Sally Sanford" <mallardlodge1000@...>
An: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] N&W Ladderless Tank Car
Rich,

I'm well aware that many tank cars did have ladders on one side only. That said, I've never seen a photo of a tank car that had a dome platform on both sides, and only one ladder. Usually the "back side" is plain. Maybe this is correct for this car's class. I would love to see more photographs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rich

Garth

Friends,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  

Bruce Smith

Johannes, Folks,

This photo was almost certainly taken by an N&W photographer at an N&W car shop. The two cars pictured are both in new paint and lettering, as noted by Johannes and others. A careful look at the tank car indicates that it may not yet have been reweighed. So no, it's probably not a "special" occasion, it's just two cars outside the car shops, fresh from repairs, rebuilding, or simply repainting, waiting to go to the scales. 

This is, of course, not a builder's photo. The tank car looks like an AC&F type 21. As such, this photo may represent the N&W's acquisition of a 2nd hand car, or their documentation of repair/repaint of a car they have owned for some time. Either situation tends to lend credence to the idea that the car was built with 2 ladders and that the right hand ladder has subsequently been removed, whether because the owner (prior or N&W) felt it was unnecessary, or because it was damaged, leaving the dome platform (so as not to require patching holes in the tank). 

No great mystery here, just an oddball car that probably only matters to N&W modelers 😉

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:44 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] N&W Ladderless Tank Car

Hello friends,

when I saw the car in this clean condition and realized that 12-wheel "battleship" gondola in the back ground in about same condition I think it could have been some promoting event to show these cars, and maybe the tank car just wasn't completely finished, which didn't matter if photographed only from the other side?

Regards

Johannes

jace6315

Here's another view of the same car, same side (handbrake, B-end, to the left): https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19950

There is a dent in the tank above the number two so maybe it was in for wreck repairs. That whole end of the car looks a little off but that could just be the perspective of the photograph. Either way, it's a new repaint with chalk lines still visible. The car is in company service, other larger capacity tanks of similar vintage also have one ladder but alas with only one platform (https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19954https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19953). The ladder on this car is on the right side when looking towards the B-end. Maybe the railroad wanted to keep that consistent.

Another company service tank, B-end to the right, ladder visible: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=138888

The battleship gon behind the tank also looks to have a dent (in the corner).

Jim Matthews

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 7:55:35 AM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Johannes, Folks,

This photo was almost certainly taken by an N&W photographer at an N&W car shop. The two cars pictured are both in new paint and lettering, as noted by Johannes and others. A careful look at the tank car indicates that it may not yet have been reweighed. So no, it's probably not a "special" occasion, it's just two cars outside the car shops, fresh from repairs, rebuilding, or simply repainting, waiting to go to the scales. 

This is, of course, not a builder's photo. The tank car looks like an AC&F type 21. As such, this photo may represent the N&W's acquisition of a 2nd hand car, or their documentation of repair/repaint of a car they have owned for some time. Either situation tends to lend credence to the idea that the car was built with 2 ladders and that the right hand ladder has subsequently been removed, whether because the owner (prior or N&W) felt it was unnecessary, or because it was damaged, leaving the dome platform (so as not to require patching holes in the tank). 

No great mystery here, just an oddball car that probably only matters to N&W modelers 😉

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...>

Hello friends,

Regards

Johannes

Bruce Smith

Jim,

Just a quick note on conventions. The sides of the car are denoted when looking at the car from the B-end. So the ladder on this car is on the LEFT side.  Using conventions avoids confusion 😉

Regards,
Bruce 
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of jace6315 via groups.io <jace6315@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 9:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Here's another view of the same car, same side (handbrake, B-end, to the left): https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19950

There is a dent in the tank above the number two so maybe it was in for wreck repairs. That whole end of the car looks a little off but that could just be the perspective of the photograph. Either way, it's a new repaint with chalk lines still visible. The car is in company service, other larger capacity tanks of similar vintage also have one ladder but alas with only one platform (https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19954https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19953). The ladder on this car is on the right side when looking towards the B-end. Maybe the railroad wanted to keep that consistent.

Another company service tank, B-end to the right, ladder visible: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=138888

Jim Matthews

Johannes, Folks,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hello friends,

Regards

Johannes

Schuyler Larrabee

Since these tanks seem to be in “company service,” and not in interchange, a lot of the rules about what the cars “had to have” didn’t apply.  That may explain the lack of a ladder and a platform.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of jace6315 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 10:50 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io; main@realstmfc.groups.io

Jim Matthews

Johannes, Folks,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Hello friends,

Regards

Johannes

Bruce Smith

Schuyler,

Huh??  There was no restriction on tank cars with a single ladder and platform in interchange. They were common. 

Regards,
Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:20 AM

Since these tanks seem to be in “company service,” and not in interchange, a lot of the rules about what the cars “had to have” didn’t apply.  That may explain the lack of a ladder and a platform.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of jace6315 via groups.io

Jim Matthews

Schuyler Larrabee

Sure, that’s right.  But the N&W car had no platform.  My point is that in as much as the car seems to be lacking “normal” appliances, since it was in company service, they were not required to have everything necessary to be interchanged.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:25 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Schuyler,

Huh??  There was no restriction on tank cars with a single ladder and platform in interchange. They were common. 

Regards,

Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...>

Schuyler

Jim Matthews

Bruce Smith

Schuyler,

I repeat... huh? Which tank car does not have a platform (or ladder)?? I have not seen any photos of N&W tank cars in this discussion that could be described as "lacking normal appliances".

The original car of the discussion #516420, has a platform, but no ladder on the right side. No left side views were provided, but since single ladders were typically on the left side, it is reasonable to assume a ladder and platform on that side. Certainly, without a photo of the left side, it is not reasonable to assume that there is no ladder or platform on that side. 

Jim provided 2 additional cars:
#516416, seen in two different views, has a ladder and platform on the left side. BTW, this is an interesting 14,000 gallon car, quite large for the time it was built!

#516005 has a ladder and platform on the left side.

So, what tank car are we talking about here that has no platform (or ladder)?

Regards,
Bruce

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:29 AM

Sure, that’s right.  But the N&W car had no platform.  My point is that in as much as the car seems to be lacking “normal” appliances, since it was in company service, they were not required to have everything necessary to be interchanged.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:25 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Schuyler,

Regards,

Bruce

Schuyler

Jim Matthews

jace6315

Bruce,

Understand. I think I have more of a problem with left and right than the freight car conventions.

Jim

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 11:10:06 AM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Jim,

Just a quick note on conventions. The sides of the car are denoted when looking at the car from the B-end. So the ladder on this car is on the LEFT side.  Using conventions avoids confusion 😉

Regards,
Bruce 
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of jace6315 via groups.io <jace6315@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 9:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Jim Matthews

Johannes, Folks,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hello friends,

Regards

Johannes

Jack Mullen

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 09:29 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

But the N&W car had no platform. 

Umm, what N& W car?  The OP was about the car with platform but no ladder on the RS.

My point is that in as much as the car seems to be lacking “normal” appliances, since it was in company service, they were not required to have everything necessary to be interchanged.

True, but the dome platform and ladder are safety appliances, so the requirements apply to essentially all equipment, not just those in interchange. 

Tank cars built after May 1, 1917 are required to have 1 dome platform, 1 ladder, 1 dome handhold, ad 1 dome platform handhold. There's no evidence that the car in the photo that began this thread doesn't meet that requirement.

Jack Mullen