Topics

N&W Ladderless Tank Car

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

As I was wandering through the N&W photos on the Virginia Tech web site ( https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/browse.php?folio_ID=/trans ), I stumbled upon the attached photo of an N&W tank car. It was part of the group "Norfolk and Western Railroad Photograph Negatives 8X10 black & white" that are presented in reverse as negatives rather than as B&W prints.

I found the lack of a side ladder up to the dome platform very curious, so I downloaded it and and flipped the tones with Graphic Converter for your enjoyment and approval. Why this car should be missing its ladder is beyond me. I see no wreck damage. I can understand no ladder if there is no platform on that side of the car. The car is almost pristine, so maybe they just hadn't gotten around to putting on the ladder after repairs or repainting. Enjoy the mystery.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Well, maybe I should have added the link.

Garth

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford via groups.io <mallardlodge1000=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rich C

Garth, The ladder is on the other side of the car. Many people are not aware that most general service tank cars had only one ladder!

Rich

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:56:15 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Garth, The ladder is on the other side of the car. Many people are not aware that most general service tank cars had only one ladder!

   But Garth is right that usually there is no dome walk if there is no ladder. Usually.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Rich,

I'm well aware that many tank cars did have ladders on one side only. That said, I've never seen a photo of a tank car that had a dome platform on both sides, and only one ladder. Usually the "back side" is plain. Maybe this is correct for this car's class. I would love to see more photographs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark Vinski

What I think are chalk guidelines used to keep the lettering straight look like decal edges. They apparently did not help to keep the reporting marks and stripes straight.
Mark Vinski

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

when I saw the car in this clean condition and realized that 12-wheel "battleship" gondola in the back ground in about same condition I think it could have been some promoting event to show these cars, and maybe the tank car just wasn't completely finished, which didn't matter if photographed only from the other side?

Regards

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. August 2020 um 01:09 Uhr
Von: "Garth Groff and Sally Sanford" <mallardlodge1000@...>
An: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] N&W Ladderless Tank Car
[...]

Bruce Smith

Johannes, Folks,

This photo was almost certainly taken by an N&W photographer at an N&W car shop. The two cars pictured are both in new paint and lettering, as noted by Johannes and others. A careful look at the tank car indicates that it may not yet have been reweighed. So no, it's probably not a "special" occasion, it's just two cars outside the car shops, fresh from repairs, rebuilding, or simply repainting, waiting to go to the scales.

This is, of course, not a builder's photo. The tank car looks like an AC&F type 21. As such, this photo may represent the N&W's acquisition of a 2nd hand car, or their documentation of repair/repaint of a car they have owned for some time. Either situation tends to lend credence to the idea that the car was built with 2 ladders and that the right hand ladder has subsequently been removed, whether because the owner (prior or N&W) felt it was unnecessary, or because it was damaged, leaving the dome platform (so as not to require patching holes in the tank).

No great mystery here, just an oddball car that probably only matters to N&W modelers 😉

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL