Topics

Nalco Weed Sprayer and tank cars

Doug Forbes

I am looking for help in potentially modeling this Nalco weed sprayer train that was running on the C&EI in 1959 as photographed by J. Parker Lamb.  I am looking for ideas on a good HO scale starting box car to modify into the weed sprayer as well as who might have owned the tank cars (I think Nalco owned them from other research I found) what would be good starting models for them as well.  I'm looking for any guesses or hunches or commentary you might have.  
Thanks to all!

Steve and Barb Hile

According to a 1966 ORER, Nalco owned 18 such cars numbered 101, 103-105 and 108-121.  Here is a shot I found of 120 working on the Rock Island in Peoria.

The tank cars appear to be a mix in both shots including a UTLX car behind 120.

It is not clear when these cars were first used, but the NALCO name apparently arrived circa 1959 shortened from National Aluminite Company, according to Wikipedia.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Doug Forbes
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:13 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Nalco Weed Sprayer and tank cars

I am looking for help in potentially modeling this Nalco weed sprayer train that was running on the C&EI in 1959 as photographed by J. Parker Lamb.  I am looking for ideas on a good HO scale starting box car to modify into the weed sprayer as well as who might have owned the tank cars (I think Nalco owned them from other research I found) what would be good starting models for them as well.  I'm looking for any guesses or hunches or commentary you might have.  
Thanks to all!

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Attached are the photos of NALCO cars I have found online (besides the ones you and Steve posted).

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:11 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Nalco Weed Sprayer and tank cars

According to a 1966 ORER, Nalco owned 18 such cars numbered 101, 103-105 and 108-121.  Here is a shot I found of 120 working on the Rock Island in Peoria.

It is not clear when these cars were first used, but the NALCO name apparently arrived circa 1959 shortened from National Aluminite Company, according to Wikipedia.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Doug Forbes

Thanks to all!

Paul Doggett

That would make an interesting train.

Paul Doggett 

On 11 Nov 2019, at 15:44, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Attached are the photos of NALCO cars I have found online (besides the ones you and Steve posted).

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Steve Hile

Thanks to all!

Attachments:

Jim Betz

Brian/all,
  These photos seem to be "post 1960" to me.  Among other clues I notice
that in the last of them there is a guy wearing what looks to me like a
fairly modern "safety vest" (yellow/orange).

I'm not complaining - just asking the question "probable image date?".

If any of you haven't seen it ... search for images of Jack Burgess's
excellent model of an early weed sprayer.  I think you will find them
easiest if you look in recent (last year or two) PCR convention contest
photos.
                                                                                     - Jim

Douglas Harding

Jack’s models are of a Fairmont weed sprayer. I supplied him some photos of the Fairmont Equipment. Fairmont also built a weed burner.

The M&StL converted a GE gas electric, GE-25,  to a weed sprayer outfit, with sprayer boom arms at the rear, extra windows cut in the sides, and towed a tankcar full of chemicals. Worked fine until it caught on fire in 1963.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 11:14 AM

Brian/all,
  These photos seem to be "post 1960" to me.  Among other clues I notice
that in the last of them there is a guy wearing what looks to me like a
fairly modern "safety vest" (yellow/orange).

I'm not complaining - just asking the question "probable image date?".

If any of you haven't seen it ... search for images of Jack Burgess's
excellent model of an early weed sprayer.  I think you will find them
easiest if you look in recent (last year or two) PCR convention contest
photos.
                                                                                     - Jim

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Some enterprising individual should do a resin kit for the weed sprayer....

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472@...>
Date: Monday, November 11, 2019 at 9:46 AM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Paul Doggett 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Steve Hile

Thanks to all!

Attachments:

Joseph

The GN society did a kit.   I built one for a friend 
In Chicago.  I am not sure if it is still available   It requires an enormous amount of scratch building.   It turned out pretty cool
Joe Binish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io>

Paul Doggett 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Steve Hile

Thanks to all!

Attachments:

Douglas Harding

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/37917

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:24 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

The GN society did a kit.   I built one for a friend 

In Chicago.  I am not sure if it is still available   It requires an enormous amount of scratch building.   It turned out pretty cool

Joe Binish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io>

Paul Doggett 

Thanks!
--
Error! Filename not specified.
Brian Ehni

Steve Hile

Thanks to all!
Error! Filename not specified.

Attachments:

Doug Forbes

Thanks, that would be my blog on MRH.  Maybe I should have elaborated more.  My brother purchased the Great Northern Railway historical society weed sprayer kit but hasn't gotten around to building it so he let me have a go at it.  We were hoping it would be a close stand into the NALCO weed sprayer that was used on the C&EI as in the original post.  However, even a short glance shows that the GNR weed sprayer is much too different to be a close match.  Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on which type of boxcar would be a good starting point for a kitbash of the NALCO sprayer.  Does anyone recognize the corrugation patterns on the end? 
I also wanted to include a few in progress shots of the GNRHS weed sprayer resin kit. 

Jack Mullen

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 09:42 PM, Doug Forbes wrote:
Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on which type of boxcar would be a good starting point for a kitbash of the NALCO sprayer.  Does anyone recognize the corrugation patterns on the end? 
5 corrugations in a panel so the cars were originally USRA boxcars with 5/5/5 Murphy ends. The ends were widened when the cars were rebuilt with steel sides, so the originals were single sheathed. The middle panel of the end, (mostly removed to form the large windows) is taller than the top or bottom sections, so the car's height was increased by adding a strip in the middle rather than at the top of the end. They received Hutchins radial roofs in the rebuild. 
C&O had a fairly large group of USRA SS boxcars rebuilt in the '30s iirc with Youngstown sides, Hutchins roofs and additional height added in the middle panel of the end, so I bet those were the source of Nalco's cars.
It appears that Sunshine made a kit for the C&O rebuilds.

Jack Mullen

Steve and Barb Hile

Doug,

These Nalco sprayers seem to just come in under the wire for the Steam Era list, being circa 1959 builds as National Aluminate sought to diversify from its primary focus of steam locomotive water treatment chemicals into a broader spectrum of chemical products and services, including weed spraying.  It was in 1959 that it changed its name to Nalco.

If I were wanting to do one of these cars, I would probably start with an Intermountain AAR 10'6" boxcar kit.  The separate ends would make it easy to substitute cut-up Tichy USRA 5-5-5 ends.  As Jack Mullen suggests, a radial roof seems appropriate.  The car side tabs would have to go and the side door opening be filled.  Archer Rivets could be used, either on the replacement panel or on a smooth full side to get the 12 total panels.  How far to lower the rear of the sides and what is on the top of that platform will be the challenge.  I found a small side view shot using Google leading to Pinterest, but could not pull up a decent image.  You would think that there could be some article of advertisement in the RR press of the late 50's that could show some more details.

Good luck,
Steve Hile

Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 11:43 PM

Thanks, that would be my blog on MRH.  Maybe I should have elaborated more.  My brother purchased the Great Northern Railway historical society weed sprayer kit but hasn't gotten around to building it so he let me have a go at it.  We were hoping it would be a close stand into the NALCO weed sprayer that was used on the C&EI as in the original post.  However, even a short glance shows that the GNR weed sprayer is much too different to be a close match.  Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on which type of boxcar would be a good starting point for a kitbash of the NALCO sprayer.  Does anyone recognize the corrugation patterns on the end? 
I also wanted to include a few in progress shots of the GNRHS weed sprayer resin kit. 

Jack Mullen

Here's a youtube video link that was just posted on the EJ&E group.
This was filmed at Griffith IN in the mid '60s.  There's about 30" of a weed spray train working on the EJ&E, beginning at about  5'00".  There's a broadside shot of the spray car, and a glimpse of the top deck monitors in use.

https://youtu.be/cYTp3dLADyQ

Jack Mullen

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Doug,

From your photo, it looks like this car originally had 5-5-5 ends, which suggest the base was a USRA boxcar. If so, easy-peasy. You have lots of choices.

FWIIW, RMC had plans for a similar car many years ago, and probably a construction article as well. I don't know which issue it appeared in, but the plans themselves and a photo are found on page 60 of ROLLING STOCK PLAN BOOK (2nd ed) edited by Hal Castens. This is a different car with wood-sheathed ends, but the details of the sprayer nozzles may be of use to you.

Some plans were pretty crude in those days, but both RMC and MR had good construction articles, largely using wood. Their articles can still yield nice models today, and are easily adaptable to styrene. Sometimes I think we have come to depend too much on kitbashing the excellent resin and state-of-the-art modern plastic models from China. The old techniques are fun, and I have enjoyed them while building the English-pattern O-scale narrow gauge cars and locomotives that are my current main interest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:12 AM Doug Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:
Thanks to all!

Attachments:

Steve and Barb Hile

Among other things, it certainly appears that the spray car is longer than a 40' boxcar.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Mullen
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:50 AM

Here's a youtube video link that was just posted on the EJ&E group.
This was filmed at Griffith IN in the mid '60s.  There's about 30" of a weed spray train working on the EJ&E, beginning at about  5'00".  There's a broadside shot of the spray car, and a glimpse of the top deck monitors in use.

https://youtu.be/cYTp3dLADyQ

Jack Mullen