Topics

National Car Company

Rupert Gamlen

I am trying to identify all the cars in the National Car Company which were owned by the CB&Q / BRE. So far I have MNX 1700-2364, starting in 1949, with 2444-2464 being changed to LLNX in 1967. LLNX was allocated to WFE at that time so I don’t know if they were sold, leased or what.

So, did the BRE own any other National cars?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

O Fenton Wells

In the steam and transition era I believe the NX cars were owned by the FGEX consortium and was designed to be the meat hauler of the group.  In 1951 a large percentage of their cars were classed as RBM or RSM with meat rails.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bill Parks

Fenton -

You are correct, National Car was a subsidiary of FGE to service meat packers, and the vast majority of their cars were leased to different packers.  It is my understanding that tracking car numbers is very difficult as NX constantly renumbered (and sometimes re-lettered) cars as they were moved from one lease to the next.  About the only way to be sure is to have photos of a car with the date it was taken.

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Tim O'Connor

On 11/14/2020 4:18 PM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
In the steam and transition era I believe the NX cars were owned by the FGEX consortium and was designed to be the meat hauler of the group.  In 1951 a large percentage of their cars were classed as RBM or RSM with meat rails.
Fenton

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 4:12 PM Rupert Gamlen <gamlenz@...> wrote:

I am trying to identify all the cars in the National Car Company which were owned by the CB&Q / BRE. So far I have MNX 1700-2364, starting in 1949, with 2444-2464 being changed to LLNX in 1967. LLNX was allocated to WFE at that time so I don’t know if they were sold, leased or what.

So, did the BRE own any other National cars?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

Sterling, Massachusetts

Walter

The 2464 looks like it was taken in Burlington, Iowa. I used a lot of MNX cars for potato loading.

Rupert Gamlen

Tim

Thanks for the photos and to the others who replied with information. Looking through a CB&Q-published 1969 Equipment List, I found that it lists
MNX 1700-243 and LNX 2444-2464 as being leased to Burlington Refrigerator Express and no others so perhaps I have the answer.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ