Topics

New Haven/ BAR insulated box car paint question

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

I consider purchasing this model:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/117375/HO-Brass-Model-CCI---Railworks-Crown-Custom-Imports-CCI-262-NH---BAR-New-Haven---Bangor-Arastook-Insulated-Boxcar-w--Under-Car-Heater-Unpainted

I already have one in the beautiful "State of Maine" scheme. Were all these cars painted this way when delivered, or is there another accurate paint scheme of that time or shortly after?

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

Richard Townsend

According to Ralph Harris's article "NH Boxcar Part II" in the May 1995 MM, some NH cars were repainted to BCR scheme with large block "NH" at least as early as July 1956.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/117375/HO-Brass-Model-CCI---Railworks-Crown-Custom-Imports-CCI-262-NH---BAR-New-Haven---Bangor-Arastook-Insulated-Boxcar-w--Under-Car-Heater-Unpainted

I already have one in the beautiful "State of Maine" scheme. Were all these cars painted this way when delivered, or is there another accurate paint scheme of that time or shortly after?

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

vapeurchapelon

Hello Richard,

many thanks. With your reply I did some googling and found this:

https://brasstrains.com/classic/Product/Detail/033503/HO-CCI-NH-New-Haven-Insulated-Box-Car-45071

Apparently what you are speaking about. 1956 unfortunately is a little late for me.
But I also found this:

https://brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/094625/HO-Brass-Model-CCI-Railworks-CCI-264-1P-BAR-Bangor-Aroostook-Insulated-Boxcar-Box-Car-All-Red-w-Large-Shield-Logo-2338-F-P

Is this an as-built scheme? That would be truly perfect...!

Thanks again and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Juni 2020 um 01:05 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
According to Ralph Harris's article "NH Boxcar Part II" in the May 1995 MM, some NH cars were repainted to BCR scheme with large block "NH" at least as early as July 1956.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/117375/HO-Brass-Model-CCI---Railworks-Crown-Custom-Imports-CCI-262-NH---BAR-New-Haven---Bangor-Arastook-Insulated-Boxcar-w--Under-Car-Heater-Unpainted

I already have one in the beautiful "State of Maine" scheme. Were all these cars painted this way when delivered, or is there another accurate paint scheme of that time or shortly after?

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

Bruce Smith

Johannes,

You have to be careful how you interpret statements 😉 "At least as early as July 1956" doesn't meant it can't be earlier. In this case, the BAR cars, which were built ion 1950 and 1953, were delivered in the Red, White and Blue State of Maine scheme. http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/barpage6.htm  Careful examination of photos of these cars show RW&B cars with NEW stencils confirming that it is the original paint scheme.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Juni 2020 um 01:05 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
According to Ralph Harris's article "NH Boxcar Part II" in the May 1995 MM, some NH cars were repainted to BCR scheme with large block "NH" at least as early as July 1956.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/117375/HO-Brass-Model-CCI---Railworks-Crown-Custom-Imports-CCI-262-NH---BAR-New-Haven---Bangor-Arastook-Insulated-Boxcar-w--Under-Car-Heater-Unpainted

I already have one in the beautiful "State of Maine" scheme. Were all these cars painted this way when delivered, or is there another accurate paint scheme of that time or shortly after?

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

Peter Ness

Hi Johannes,

Bruce is correct, but also there is not much photo evidence to support the statement in Ralph’s article in MM about repainting as early as 1956…

Most if not all of the New Haven 45000-45099 Class XIH insulated boxcars were repainted brown with the large NH herald in 1968 at Maybrook.  The heater equipment was removed and the cars were reclassed XI. Some lasted in the delivery scheme longer.

The cars were new in 1953, so since you already have one in the SOM scheme, for better or worse, that’s appropriate.

All are welcome to visit the freight cars page on my website https://newhavenrailroad1959.webs.com/newhavenfreightcars.htm for New Haven information. I don’t have everything you may need since my New Haven “ends” in 1959.

For those that may recall my post last year on an HO scale resin kit of this car, Steve never got the project off the ground, but Eastern Seaboard Models has announced an HO scale version.

Stay healthy,

Peter Ness

Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Juni 2020 um 01:05 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Juni 2020 um 01:05 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
According to Ralph Harris's article "NH Boxcar Part II" in the May 1995 MM, some NH cars were repainted to BCR scheme with large block "NH" at least as early as July 1956.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/117375/HO-Brass-Model-CCI---Railworks-Crown-Custom-Imports-CCI-262-NH---BAR-New-Haven---Bangor-Arastook-Insulated-Boxcar-w--Under-Car-Heater-Unpainted

I already have one in the beautiful "State of Maine" scheme. Were all these cars painted this way when delivered, or is there another accurate paint scheme of that time or shortly after?

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

vapeurchapelon

Hello Peter,

thanks to you, too.

>> I don’t have everything you may need since my New Haven “ends” in 1959. <<

1959 is already too late - so your link most likely includes everything I would want to know about NH freight car paint.

Greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 09. Juni 2020 um 01:05 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>