New HO scale freight car kits

Eric Hansmann

Resin Car Works has released a couple new HO scale freight car kits. The release announcement for the L&N steel gondola and Soo/DSS&A boxcar kits is posted on the RCW blog.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Matthew Hurst

Any chance that Soo line car has 1940s era lettering included?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Matthew Hurst

On May 7, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Resin Car Works has released a couple new HO scale freight car kits. The release announcement for the L&N steel gondola and Soo/DSS&A boxcar kits is posted on the RCW blog.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Ken Soroos

Yes, Matt.  The kit includes the as-built Pullman-Standard lettering for Soo Line (and DSS&A for the other kit).

Ken Soroos

On May 7, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Matthew Hurst <handbt33@...> wrote:

Any chance that Soo line car has 1940s era lettering included?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Matthew Hurst

On May 7, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Resin Car Works has released a couple new HO scale freight car kits. The release announcement for the L&N steel gondola and Soo/DSS&A boxcar kits is posted on the RCW blog.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

lrkdbn

I wish RCW would consider the similar NYC 8 stake gondola as a subject-this was a very common car in the 1922-1950 period
Larry King

Brian Carlson

Build the master for them.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 7, 2021, at 12:55 PM, lrkdbn via groups.io <lrkdbn@...> wrote:

I wish RCW would consider the similar NYC 8 stake gondola as a subject-this was a very common car in the 1922-1950 period
Larry King

lrkdbn

You have a point, but I suspect there are a lot of engineering considerations involved in making a master for a one piece open top car that make it much different from making a  one off model.Unless it could be of similar quality to,for example, the RCW ICRR hopper in regard to side wall thickness, etc. it wouldn't be worth doing, and I don't have that knowledge.
L King

Ken Soroos

Hi Scott -

The Soo Line introduced its 4’ block billboard lettering on new 40’ boxcars during its 1951 production run at its North Fond du Lac Shops, WI.  I’ll try to attach a photo of one of the 1940 Wisconsin Central cars repainted with this lettering in 1952.  Surprisingly, it seems to have been repainted with black ends, which were eliminated during new car production in 1951.  The weigh date information is “AX 2 52.”  AX is the shop designation for Stevens Point, WI.

Ken Soroos

Ken, out of curiosity do you know the dates when the lettering changed on the cars?

Thanks
Scott McDonald

On May 7, 2021, at 9:11 AM, Ken Soroos <kensoroos@...> wrote:

Yes, Matt.  The kit includes the as-built Pullman-Standard lettering for Soo Line (and DSS&A for the other kit).

Ken Soroos

On May 7, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Matthew Hurst <handbt33@...> wrote:

Any chance that Soo line car has 1940s era lettering included?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Matthew Hurst

On May 7, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Resin Car Works has released a couple new HO scale freight car kits. The release announcement for the L&N steel gondola and Soo/DSS&A boxcar kits is posted on the RCW blog.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Tim O'Connor

Ken, here is another repaint that appears to have received black paint on the ends or it is
the original paint, and they just left it alone. I've seen many partial repaints of freight cars!

Tim O'Connor

=======================

On May 7, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Eric Hansmann <wrote:
Resin Car Works has released a couple new HO scale freight car kits. The release announcement for the L&N steel gondola and Soo/DSS&A boxcar kits is posted on the RCW blog.

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Tim, I think that end is just dirty.

Schuyler

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 03:33 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Tim, I think that end is just dirty.
I agree with Tim, since the cars had car cement on the ends when built, and it's not a foregone conclusion that the few cars that got the Soo Locks commemorative paint scheme actually received full repaints.

Dennis Storzek