Topics

New Manufacturer Prototype Junction announces 1st Project AT&SF Bx-11,12,13 and a RI

gtws00

Noticed that on another group that Prototype Junction has announced their 1st Project. AT&SF Bx-11,12,13 and a RI car. These are to be injected molded, with spare parts availble
Here is a link to their site for more info.

https://www.prototypejunction.com/2019/12/project-1-atsf-bx-11-12-and-13.html?m=1

George Toman
Willow Springs IL

Michael Gross

Nice!!!!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Charlie Vlk

All-

If anyone has an email for Randy at Prototype Junction I would appreciate getting in touch with him regarding his project.

Thank you,

Charlie Vlk

Railroad Model Resources

Noticed that on another group that Prototype Junction has announced their 1st Project. AT&SF Bx-11,12,13 and a RI car. These are to be injected molded, with spare parts availble
Here is a link to their site for more info.

Tom Madden

If you follow the link George posted and go to the bottom of the page and click the <Home> link, it will take you to Randy's Prototype Junction blog. The last three blog entries discuss this project, and more importantly, their manufacturing philosophy. In brief, all variations produced at once, but no reruns. Not sure I know how to reconcile injection molding and the notion of such (apparently) temporary tooling.

Tom Madden

Jon Miller

On 12/31/2019 11:43 AM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io wrote:
all variations produced at once, but no reruns

    I don't know much about this but could aluminum molds be much cheaper and then simply not redo or re-cut be the thoughts for one run only.  I understand aluminum molds wear out much faster than other materials but are easier (maybe cheaper to make).

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Mark Hemphill

I was focusing on 1964 -- and the rebuilds will work for that -- but these are giving me the urge to build a early 50s rolling stock fleet too.

Mark Hemphill

mopacfirst

Considering that I recently finished a RI 141000. have a raised-roof Bx-11 in the decaling stage, and have two raised-roof Bx-12 with bodies assembled and underframe mostly finished, I have mixed feelings.  But since I'm a MoPac modeler, and these cars are probably all I need of their type, I will probably just look on from the sidelines.

It'll be interesting to see what these guys do next, though.

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

Replying to my own post, I'd be happy to see a steel-side rebuild of any of these Santa Fe cars,  I'd be happier yet to see a decal with an actual 8' circle-cross and the three-line 'ship and travel'.

Ron Merrick

Randy Hammill

Now that you mention it...

https://www.prototypejunction.com/2019/12/project-1-atsf-bx-11-12-and-13-rebuilds.html

The next post will also be later today with some more options.

We'll be posting all of the details about how to order the cars, etc. and answering all of your questions when we launch at Cocoa Beach next week

Stay tuned!

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Hello Randy,

In your earlier post, you mentioned Dalman One-Level trucks and stated they have never been offered in HO before. A big hole, of many.

Will you be offering these trucks?

Hoping,
Dan Smith

Jon Miller

On 1/2/2020 10:27 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

Will you be offering these trucks?

    Good question, we already have excellent Dalman 2 level!  Not sure if enough are available to save Randy some tooling costs!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor

I think the 2-level DALMAN-ANDREWS sideframes would be much more useful and distinctive.
But that's just me. :-)

The enclosed picture of one was posted by Jack Burgess. These were widely used by Great Northern
and lasted into the late 1960's if not later.

Tim O'

On 1/2/2020 1:41 PM, Jon Miller wrote:
On 1/2/2020 10:27 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

Will you be offering these trucks?

    Good question, we already have excellent Dalman 2 level!  Not sure if enough are available to save Randy some tooling costs!

--
Jon Miller

Sterling, Massachusetts

al_brown03

Dalman-Andrews trucks were also used by Seaboard (one class of boxcars, albeit a large class) and Soo Line (several classes of assorted cars).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Randy Hammill

Hi, Dan -

Yes, the Dalman One-Level trucks will be available separately. I don't think Ted Culotta would talk to me anymore if we didn't make them available.

For the Dalman Two-Level trucks, we have a few options we're considering.

At True Line, we looked into getting the Dalman Two-Level trucks from Tahoe for the CP Minibox. That didn't pan out at the time, so we tooled our own and I have access to that tooling. But we need both variations Tahoe has available, and personally I'd like to give the business to Tahoe if that works out. But we haven't gotten to that point and haven't reached out yet.

But any trucks we produce for these models will be available as separate parts.

As for the Dalman-Andrews trucks that Tim suggests? We thought we were going with a different prototype for our initial project, and those are required for that project. Not sure if that will be the second project, but maybe we can squeeze an extra truck into the tooling earlier...Hmmm.

I'm just finishing up the last teaser page of models that we are producing for this project and that will post tonight. And the full details of the project will be up next week in time for Cocoa Beach