Topics

New Run: Rapido HO Scale General American Meat Reefer

Bob Chaparro

New Run: Rapido HO Scale General American Meat Reefer

From the Rapido website: "Rapido is pleased to announce a new production run of our HO scale General American 37’ meat refrigerator car! It has been quite a while since we’ve offered these popular cars for sale, and it’s about time that we did some more! We are offering new road numbers on some of the most popular schemes from the earlier runs, as well as an all-new HO release."

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-37-general-american-garx-reefer

These are available in multiple road numbers for:

American Stores

Armour

Cudahy

Dubuque

GARX Refrigerator

Hormel

Kingan

Morris Rifkin

Oscar Meyer

Swift (Red Block, Red Billboard & War Bonds)

URTX Refrigerator

Undecorated

I have no idea whether all of these variants are accurate for prototype cars, however.

I have no financial connection to Rapido.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

I do not see anywhere if they are also offering the Barber S-1 trucks separately. Anyone comment if Swift owned these cars? I picked one ar a very good price from the previous run and would buy the Yellow w/Rad banner if Swift owned them.

Bill Welch

Todd Sullivan

I don't know about the Barber S-1 trucks, Bill, but you could ask Rapido about making them available.  I think they are pretty open to ideas from modelers.

About the Swift reefers, the cars in both color schemes are numbered in the 2500-2874 series, which was the last Swift model that Sunshine did.  Swift did have these cars.  The 'red banner' scheme was short lived, IRRC, and was succeeded by the red, white and silver (roof) scheme.

Actually, in the photos I've seen of the red scheme, Swift initially only painted the sides and ends, so the roofs showed all the board-by-board replacements of rotted roofing over time, in colors ranging from dark pink to light pink to light gray.  I suspect Swift did that because they wanted to get the whole car fleet repainted quickly and figured that no one at ground level could see the roofs, LOL.  Eventually, they started painting the roofs silver.  I've added a photo of two Atlas Swift reefers I reworked a bit for someone else.  I wish I had better photos to show the variety of roof colors, but they were all done following photos in an article in Railmodel Journal on Swift reefers.

Todd Sullivan

Brian Carlson

I know that yard. Lol. The big change for the rapido reefers you need to remove the tabs sill on the Swift reefers. The sill needs to be full length.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 3, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

[...]

<20170226_124357.jpg>
<SRLX 5103 3-4 Aend top.JPG>

Todd Sullivan

Brian,

Nice catch.  My Rapido reefers are in storage in Syracuse, so I'd better make a note to check the SRLX car when we are reunited.  I'll also check my Sunshine kit that is painted but not assembled.  Hmmm, maybe I should dig it out and finish it during this corona virus lull.

Fun story: Tony Koester had 26 of those red Atlas reefers, and Atlas only produced about 6 numbers.  As occasional yardmaster in Frankfort's eastbound yard, I got awfully tired of seeing numbers repeat in a cut of Swift reefers from Kansas City.  So, I offered to rework them a bit and renumber them, working in batches of 4-5 cars.  The next operating session, Tony presented me with a box with all 26 (!) along with some dry transfer numbers that were exactly right for the Atlas lettering.  The dry transfers didn't work very well, and I decided it was easier to hand re-letter the cars.  I found that any of the numbers 0, 6 and 9, could be easily transformed into another of those numbers, and the same for 3, 6 and 8, so that's how they got renumbered.  I tried using decals for the journal repack data, and the first car took about 2.5 hours to get the decals settled into the scribed siding on both sides.  Nope, that wasn't going to work, either, so I faked the RPKD data with tiny dabs of white paint.  It works with the 2 foot rule - no one has mentioned that it isn't legible, and I still use the technique on my models!

Todd Sullivan

Richard Townsend

The Swift cars had BCR roofs, including the red cars. Obviously they weathered to streaky gray and red. I’ll defer to others on the silver, at least for the wood sided cars.

On Apr 3, 2020, at 5:30 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Cover

The Swift reefers in the photo have doors with only 4 hinges, which stands out to me.  I think most reefers have doors with 6 hinges.  Can anyone tell me the difference?  Were the four hinge doors lighter weight or were the hinges more heavy duty?   How many reefer cars had the 4 hinge car?  I assume different manufacturers built the different doors.  Thanks

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Tim O'Connor

My favorite roof shots of Swift reefers.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Donald B. Valentine

    With regard to the four hinge doors on meat cars I believe te majority of these were 36 ft. cars rather than
the 37 most General American cars seem to have been. Swift rostered both, as did Cudahy, but I cannot recall
ever seeing a photo of four hinge reefer longer than 36 ft. There seems to be a prototype for anythng, however.

Cordially, Don Valentine

william darnaby

The rear cover photo on Morning Sun’s Refrigerator Car Color Guide shows two Swift red cars, one of which has only 4 hinges.  It’s number is 6544.

Bill Darnaby