New YouTube video...

Jack Burgess

A new YouTube video came out today, this one on hand tools. There is a “clinic handout” at

https://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/clinics

which has links to all of the tools I talk about. If you build kits or scratchbuild cars, you might find this video interesting…

Jack Burgess

Bob Chaparro

Bob Chaparro

If I am understanding the proper use of the drill bit gauge Jack discusses at 13:35, you test the drill bit in successively smaller holes until it will not fit into a hole. That hole indicates the proper drill bit size, correct?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Gary Roe

Bob,
Yes, that is the way I understood it as well.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 07:09:20 PM CDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

If I am understanding the proper use of the drill bit gauge Jack discusses at 13:35, you test the drill bit in successively smaller holes until it will not fit into a hole. That hole indicates the proper drill bit size, correct?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jack Burgess

Thanks Gary…I was gone all day but you confirmed my statement. I had been doing this for years but went online to confirm my understanding before we made that video…

Jack

Yes, that is the way I understood it as well.

gary roe

quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 07:09:20 PM CDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

If I am understanding the proper use of the drill bit gauge Jack discusses at 13:35, you test the drill bit in successively smaller holes until it will not fit into a hole. That hole indicates the proper drill bit size, correct?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Matt Goodman

It’s good to read this - thanks for asking the question, Bob, and answering it Gary and Jack. Before now, I’ve always done the opposite - the last hole that is a “go” is the drill size, as opposed to the first “no-go” hole.

It won’t have much practical impact as I almost always measure bits with a caliper (analog or digital). My wire gauge tool goes mostly unused.

Matt