Topics

News regarding long-time list member Dr. Denny Anspach

gary laakso

From the passenger car list.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: PassengerCarList@groups.io <PassengerCarList@groups.io> On Behalf Of Fritz Milhaupt via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:01 PM
To: PassengerCarList@groups.io
Subject: [PassengerCarList] News regarding long-time list member Dr. Denny Anspach

[Edited Message Follows]

Per a post on Railway Preservation News' Interchange discussion board (http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1), long-time list PassengerCarList member Dr. Denny Anspach, one of the founders of the California State Railroad Museum, is in hospice in Sacramento with an inoperable throat tumor.

In addition to having been an active participant on this list, Denny is known to many for his work as Chair of the California State Railroad Museum's Collections Committee. More than that, he worked tirelessly in shaping its development since its inception.

I'd invite those of us inclined toward prayer to include one for Denny.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Tony Thompson

 gary laakso wrote:

Per a post on Railway Preservation News' Interchange discussion board (http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1), long-time list PassengerCarList member Dr. Denny Anspach, one of the founders of the California State Railroad Museum, is in hospice in Sacramento with an inoperable throat tumor.

     This is sad news, though not totally unexpected. Denny's health has not been great in recent years. But his contributions to the California State Railroad Museum are immense, and one could hardly ask for a more gigantic legacy. For me, he has been a good friend and, often, confidant and fellow striver with ancient-era HO scale freight cars. And many know his genial face from most of the Cocoa Beach meetings. He is sure going to be missed.

Tony Thompson

Paul R Greenwald

Ours prayers go out for Dr Denny and his family.

🙏
--
Paul R Greenwald
PRRT&HS #1802

SamClarke

In the past Denny came up to medford. OR  for different things and he’d come out to Kadee to visit and we’d have lunch together and he’d become a good friend.

God bless him, as we continually pray for him.

Sam Clarke

R&D / Tech Advisor / Artist

Kadee Quality Products Co.

mail@...

541-826-3883

Gary Ray

I am so sad to hear that news.  I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours with he and his wife at his home in 2018.  What a gifted modeler of rolling stock.  He even presented me with a car off his layout for use on mine.  His many contributions to the hobby and particularly in helping create the wonderful California State Railroad Museum are memorable.  Although I did not know him well except through emails, he was such a wonderful host and I’m honored to get to know him a little bit better.

My prayers go out to he and his family.

God bless,

Gary Ray

Magalia, CA

Per a post on Railway Preservation News' Interchange discussion board (http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1), long-time list PassengerCarList member Dr. Denny Anspach, one of the founders of the California State Railroad Museum, is in hospice in Sacramento with an inoperable throat tumor.

     This is sad news, though not totally unexpected. Denny's health has not been great in recent years. But his contributions to the California State Railroad Museum are immense, and one could hardly ask for a more gigantic legacy. For me, he has been a good friend and, often, confidant and fellow striver with ancient-era HO scale freight cars. And many know his genial face from most of the Cocoa Beach meetings. He is sure going to be missed.

Tony Thompson

Michael Gross

So sorry to hear this.  Though I never met Denny in person, I have been the recipient of his knowledge and his inspiration through his many posts over the years, and I will miss his voice in this tight-knit fraternity.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

I first met Denny at a Naperville meet, many years ago.

I told him, along with others at the table, a story about when I got a package delivered to my office.  The receptionist signed for it, but sure had a disdainful look on her face as she delivered it to me at my desk.  It was clearly marked as having come from “Hobbies for Men.”  (for those who might not know, HFM was a model railroad store in, IIRC, Beacon NY)  The entire table burst into laughter, and Denny remembered that story for years.

BTW, the receptionist, when I showed her the kit that came in the box, was able to laugh about it.

Seeing Denny has been a highlight for me of attending Cocoa Beach.  We shared the highlights (and lowlights) of our personal lives as well as our modeling lives, and I learned a lot about his career as a physician.  He cautioned me about one major life event I went through, and that caution came from his own experiences.  That caution was well founded, but he later agreed that I had taken the correct course.

Denny always had some complementary remark about models I brought to Cocoa, none of which were anywhere near the quality of his displays.  I have an ABBA set of Overland GE UM20s which I have been working on since they were new.  Denny has asked me about the progress on them periodically, and they are >>finally<<nearing completion.  I had been looking forward to bringing them to Cocoa for his inspection.

I guess that won’t be happening . . .

Schuyler

_._,_._,_

Todd Sullivan

HFM, yes, in Beacon, NY.  Mr. Meile, who owned the operation, had been a butcher at the local A&P supermarket, and started the hobby shop when A&P started going downhill.  They were one of the first warehouse size discount model railroad hobby shops.  He often remarked about the women who called the store looking for employment opportunities.

Todd Sullivan
a regular HFM customer from long, long ago and far, far away ...not quite in another galaxy

np328

   I will agree with Tony on the comments about seeing him at CCB.  To me, I think it was more common to see him at CCB than Naperville.

Of his work, quite a while ago I found on-line a some study he had done on rail sizes, and his observations. I quickly saved these and still refer to them.
It was well written however more than that, it was clear to me as a researcher, that here was an extensive study that was more than a casual glancing blow.
His posts here were always in the same - clear and well written.

As I found the rail study on-line, I will attach it here for others.
                                                                                                             Yes, prayers go out for his family.                           James Dick - St. Paul, MN