Topics

Nice undated image of Shell tank car SCCX 673

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Nice undated image of Shell tank car SCCX 673...

Tim O'Connor

Is that a GATC Type 17 tank car?

On 12/15/2020 5:45 PM, Claus Schlund wrote:

Nice undated image of Shell tank car SCCX 673...

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Nope.  That is Standard Tank Car Company (think Southern Car and Foundry model.)

Steve Hile

On 12/15/2020 5:45 PM, Claus Schlund wrote:

Nice undated image of Shell tank car SCCX 673...

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ken Adams

Steve et al

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Steve and Barb Hile

Hi Ken,

The closest SC&F kit is their 8000 gallon single dome car.  But the issue there is the tank is a radial course tank and the SCCX car in the photo under discussion has longitudinal courses.

If you are into bashing things together, you could, probably, fit a Proto 2000 8000 gallon tank (they may have even made a Shell version) onto the SC&F underframe.  The Standard Tank Car tank cars had a distinctive arrangement of the safety valves on the tank dome top, placing them 180 degrees apart on the car center line.  That will leave you with a tank (and an undeframe) that don’t match.

I am trying something a bit different as I have a photo showing an STC 6 six section radial tank mounted on an X-3 underframe.  That freed up the frame for a different project.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve Hile

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Robert kirkham

I’d like to see photos of the fitting/misfitting of those various model parts.  Sounds like a cool project.

Rob

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

[...]

Tangent Scale Models

Steve Hile said:

"The closest SC&F kit is their 8000 gallon single dome car.  But the issue there is the tank is a radial course tank and the SCCX car in the photo under discussion has longitudinal courses.

If you are into bashing things together, you could, probably, fit a Proto 2000 8000 gallon tank (they may have even made a Shell version) onto the SC&F underframe.  The Standard Tank Car tank cars had a distinctive arrangement of the safety valves on the tank dome top, placing them 180 degrees apart on the car center line.  That will leave you with a tank (and an undeframe) that don’t match."

Steve, the tank in question is a 10,000 gallon non insulated tank.  So you could start with the P2K but I suspect the length of the tank would end up being too short (and correspondingly, a few inches too round in diameter).

David Lehlbach

Steve and Barb Hile

Rob,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  These two projects remain incomplete, but I think that you can see from the prototypes the genesis of the models.  One kit from SC&F, an extra Sunshine X-3 underframe and an Intermountain 10000 gallon tank along with an extra dome from Tom Madden and some Archer Rivets.

It reinforces the idea that the tank and underframe are separate entities that can often be adapted for reuse.

David,

Perhaps the 10000 gallon Intermountain tank might work to get the SCCX tank, with minor surgery on the safety valve locations.  That issue is left as an exercise for the student.

Steve Hile

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Andy Cich

Steve,

Here is a prototype photo of your 2 dome UTLX car in quite the predicament:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-various-1/content/co-various-287/lightbox/

Andy Cich

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Steve and Barb Hile

Not to mention the cut up tank cars and heads a couple of pictures later!

Thanks,

Steve Hile

Here is a prototype photo of your 2 dome UTLX car in quite the predicament:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-various-1/content/co-various-287/lightbox/

Andy Cich

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Steve SANDIFER

This one really interested me, Mars Incorporated Milk car.

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-various-1/content/co-various-293/lightbox/

J. Stephen Sandifer

Here is a prototype photo of your 2 dome UTLX car in quite the predicament:

http://www.ejearchive.com/indexphp?/albums/official-various-1/content/co-various-287/lightbox/

Andy Cich

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams

Robert kirkham

I wonder if that is a two tone car - the bottom course looks obviously darker on so precise a line with the courses it doesn’t just look like how the light falls.

Rob

On Dec 20, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Andy Cich <ajc5150@...> wrote:

Steve,

Here is a prototype photo of your 2 dome UTLX car in quite the predicament:

Andy Cich

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams
Owner PlasticFreightCarBuilders@groups.io

Steve and Barb Hile

I don’t know of any two tone UTLX tank cars like this.  I think it is more likely the way the light falls, note that the underside of the horizontal (actually the side rail of the end ladder on a car nearer to the camera) member is quite dark, too.

Steve Hile

Which SC&F kit was the Standard Tank Car kit.

This tank car manufacturer appears to have been used by a lot of west coast refiners in the 1920's and has been ignored by Tangent and others making the newer highly detailed plastic models.
--
Ken Adams
Owner PlasticFreightCarBuilders@groups.io

Jim Betz

Rob,
  Often the contrast level of these old photos will be 'enhanced' in order to
improve detail - and cause what was a shadow line to resemble a paint
color change ...
                                                                                                          - Jim

Robert kirkham

Yes, I can’t imagine why two tone makes sense so I guess you are probably right Jim.

Rob