Topics

NJI&I Postwar AAR Boxcar – Front Range Upgrade #1

Bob Chapman

Circa 1990, Front Range offered styrene kits for variations of postwar AAR boxcars with R-3-4 improved dreadnaught ends and diagonal panel roofs, a cache of which I unburied in my pandemic project to drain the stash of long-slumbering styrene kits. One of the variations is a 12-panel welded car with 8-foot doors – a prototype fielded by Wabash subsidiary NJI&I, which acquired two 50-car series in 1/50.

The Front Range carbody is nicely executed, but with add-on parts well below contemporary standards. New parts include a Yarmouth Models US Gypsum runningboard, Kadee 7/7 ladders/bracket grabs/Miner brakewheel, and Kato ASF A-3 trucks. Front Range’s deep fishbelly sidesill was modified to NJI&I’s more conventional pattern. Decals are from K4, which offers an amazing variety of secondary road choices. No weathering – once in a while we need a fresh car. Interestingly, the prototype lettering is “wrong side”. (Anyone know why?)

For those not already NJI&I modelers (!) – the New Jersey, Indiana & Illinois was a short line created by Singer Sewing Machine to connect its South Bend plant to the Wabash 11 miles south; the roadname comes from the three states hosting Singer plants. Acquired by Wabash in 1926, it was operated as a separate subsidiary. Completing these undecs has added the fun of modeling prototypes that I would never have dreamed of pulling off the shelf at the LHS.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Paul Doggett

Very nicely Done Bob

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 23 Jul 2020, at 18:09, Robert Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Tony Thompson

      Very nice-looking model, Bob, and quite an advance on what Front Range originally provided!

Tony Thompson

Chet

Very nice car Bob.  I have always like these cars  and figured if I wanted to build one I would use a Branchline 8' door car and sand off the rivets and
replace them with weld seams.  Probably would use panel lines.  Now I need to look at the bottom of the pile and see if I have a few Front Range cars.
The K4 decals also look nice.  The WABASH was put on the wrong side of the car so that it would always be seen and not partly covered by an
open door.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

ron christensen

I took this photo at Rantoul, IL.  1969
Ron Christensen

al_brown03

Nice car!

Al Brown,Melbourne, Fla.

Tim O'Connor

Bob

That is gorgeous. I've always admired the tooling of the Front Range dreadnaught ends - he must have
pantographed the real thing to do them that well. The bodies dress up nicely. I fill in the pre-drilled holes
with styrene rod.

On 7/23/2020 12:37 PM, Robert Chapman wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bob Chapman

I took this photo at Rantoul, IL. 1969
Ron Christensen

Ron --

Interesting! Different series -- WAB must have gotten a good tax break with all the boxcars in its little NJI&I sub.

Love the off-color door. And the reporting marks on this one are in the usual location.

Thanks,
Bob Chapman

Chet

NJI&I 4233 was one of the fifty ex-Wabash 87000 series war emergency cars sold to the NJI&I in Nov.,1960.  Wabash's Decatur IL shop
added the eight panel steel sides to the cars and painted them in the large flag scheme introduced in late 1960.  Note the 5/5 dreadnaught ends.
Made a nice looking box car.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Tim O'Connor