Topics

NKP 50ft double door box cars some with Viking roofs questions

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

I have searched in vain for my copy of the MM issue in which Bob Hundman outlined the NKP all-steel 50-foot double door box cars, in two series, one of which had Viking roofs.

Does anyone on the list know much about these cars?  Were they built for automobile or auto parts service?  I know NKP had plants on-line.

They look unique in several ways.  Did some have racks?  Were some or all originally “Damage Free” cars, or did that come later?

Do you know anything about the cars that went to P&WV?  They appear to have stenciling that would indicate as assignment.  Any idea to whom?  See attached.

Thanks in advance!

Elden Gatwood

Tim O'Connor

Elden, some of the them were sold to the D&TS

On 7/10/2020 10:49 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Group;

I have searched in vain for my copy of the MM issue in which Bob Hundman outlined the NKP all-steel 50-foot double door box cars, in two series, one of which had Viking roofs.

Does anyone on the list know much about these cars?  Were they built for automobile or auto parts service?  I know NKP had plants on-line.

They look unique in several ways.  Did some have racks?  Were some or all originally “Damage Free” cars, or did that come later?

Do you know anything about the cars that went to P&WV?  They appear to have stenciling that would indicate as assignment.  Any idea to whom?  See attached.

Thanks in advance!

Elden Gatwood

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allan Smith

On Friday, July 10, 2020, 08:00:12 AM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Elden, some of the them were sold to the D&TS

On 7/10/2020 10:49 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Group;

I have searched in vain for my copy of the MM issue in which Bob Hundman outlined the NKP all-steel 50-foot double door box cars, in two series, one of which had Viking roofs.

Does anyone on the list know much about these cars?  Were they built for automobile or auto parts service?  I know NKP had plants on-line.

They look unique in several ways.  Did some have racks?  Were some or all originally “Damage Free” cars, or did that come later?

Do you know anything about the cars that went to P&WV?  They appear to have stenciling that would indicate as assignment.  Any idea to whom?  See attached.

Thanks in advance!

Elden Gatwood

Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Carlson

Yeah, someone reads the blogs I periodically write for the society.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 10, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

[...]

<d&ts_5319 50ft_DD_box AAR-1940 exNKP_88000 series VIKING roof MORTON-rb.jpg>
<nkp_88120 50ft_DD_box AAR-1940 Pontiac automobile-bodies-load interior-view 1958.ebay.jpg>

ed_mines

my recollection is that NKP freight car diagrams used to be available on the internet under the umbrella "alphabet route"

Ray Breyer

Diagrams yes. Engineering drawings no.
For those you need to contact the NKPHTS.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL