From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey White
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Boxcar With Roof Hatches

The IC had fertilizer sludge cars (I have no idea what fertilizer sludge is) they converted from SS boxcars they acquired from the Tennessee Coal and Iron Railroad. I haven't got a photo but the diagram sheet says 4 roof hatches and plywood lining.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 10/30/2019 9:16 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Bob

A quick scan of the hard drive shows ACL, ATSF, BAR, BN, CN, CG, CP, D&H, DTI, EL, GN,
HS, LV, MILW, MONON, MP, N&W, NS, OAR, PC, PRR, RI, SAL, SCL, SOU, TH&B, UP, and WABASH
all had box cars with roof hatches.

And that's not a complete list. Tony mentioned the SP, too.

Tim

On 10/30/2019 5:51 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Boxcar With Roof Hatches

I've seen a few photos of boxcars with roof hatches for loading such commodities as aluminum dross, cement, various clays, lime and spent grain.

All of the photos I've seen are associated with shippers in the Southeast and Midwest.

Would such boxcars have served shippers in the Southwest to any degree?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Elden, PRR X31A 79156 (w/ roof hatches) was photographed in Pueblo Colorado.

On 10/31/2019 12:58 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Gang;

I looked through my materials and only found two instances on the PRR:

X29K sub-class with round roof hatches; apparently in loose flour service, and,

X31A small number of random cars in coal tar chip service, like the attached I modeled.

Elden Gatwood
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*