From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:40 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Gondola identification

The B&O had 47'1" IL TOFC flat cars (P-54) rebuilt from O-27 gondolas.

A PRR G31D is NOTHING like your description.

On 1/6/2020 5:04 PM, Ted Schnepf wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Gondola's are the forgotten railroad cars. Very little had been written about them and there are so many variations.

I want to ID a mill type gon. Its inside length is 47' 6" and inside height about 3' 9". The sides have a straight sill (no fish belly) with 12 panels and 11 side stakes. The fixed ends are dreadnought. The car is riveted construction.

I started by looking at PRR books, but no match (a G31D might be close). Mr Kresse's book about C&O gons show one of the correct general length, but has taller sides for use in coal hauling. Thought about a USRA mill gon, but doesn't seem to match.

In most freight car books, gons are very limited in space covered.

Can anyone identify my roughly 49 foot, 11 side stake, riveted gondola?

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ted Schnepf

Hi Elden,

The general appearance is similar.  The G34 seems to have tapering stakes, my car is straight stakes.

Thank you for writing the PRR gon book.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 12:18:54 PM CST, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Gang;

The gondola certainly is an unloved, disparaged, forlorn freight car.  That is why I decided to do a book on PRR's fleet!

The PRR G34 class was a 46'IL, 11 rib/12 panel straight sidesill, fixed Dread end, riveted gon, but a photo would help.  Does it look like these?

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood

[...]

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Ted;

My pleasure. How about looking at the G29?

Elden Gatwood