From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:57 AM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR G22 question

Hi Bruce, Nelson, Stic, and List Members,

I was under the impression that the G22b had openings in the gon floor to allow debris to fall to the tracks, making them more suitable for container service. This can be seen in the images of the Traincat G22b kit linked below.

Blockedhttp://www.traincat2.com/d_gondola.htm

Am I in error? Is the Traincat kit in error?

Claus Schlund

--

- Stic

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bill;

I have not seen one. The closest is the 70-ton Crown from Bowser.

Elden Gatwood

[...]

My pleasure, Stic.

No one does the G22B per se, it is up to you to dress it up like one!

Here are the DB4 and HB1A containers. The Westy containers are HB1A and HB4. A nice shot in color, in SK P&L (like mine).

Elden Gatwood

On Jan 21, 2020, at 8:10 AM, Stic Harris <sticdvm@... <mailto:sticdvm@...> <mailto:sticdvm@... <mailto:sticdvm@...> > > wrote:

Good morning smart freight car folk,

I know we've had previous discussion on the PRR G22 flat cars, but I've been unable to find an answer to my question.

Besides the trucks, which I know were upgraded, and the stencil indicating the type and capacity of the car, is there any structural or visual difference between the original G22 gondola and the G22B gondola?

That is, if I change the trucks and decals, can I create an accurate G22B from a G22 model?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Stic Harris

--

- Stic

--

- Stic

Robert kirkham

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but two questions come to mind:
- when they increase capacity by changing the trucks . . . doesn't that mean the car frame and body are being subjected to higher loads? Is there a sense that cars with the heavier trucks end up wearing out faster than cars with the lower capacity trucks?
- were cars with the containers free roaming - as in across the continent - or prone to PRR turf? I've not seen a photo of one in the Frost collection (West Coast Canada) for example.

Rob

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM, Robert kirkham wrote:
- when they increase capacity by changing the trucks . . . doesn't that mean the car frame and body are being subjected to higher loads?
Rob,

There came a point after the first few decades of the twentieth century where underframe design was being driven by train buff and draft forces rather than the load the car was intended to carry. At this point it was possible to increase the load limit of the car by simply changing the trucks, wheels, and axles, if there was an economic reason to do so.

Dennis Storzek

Nelson Moyer

There was a thread on the Westerfield kit and container loads a couple of years ago, so check the archives. The G22 could accommodate eight containers, four on each end over the trucks, while the G22B could be filled with container. I suspect the desire for a full load of containers was the chief motivation for the truck upgrade and resulting class change.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Tim O'Connor

A friend of mine has an unpainted G22B brass model with the open mesh floor that he wants
to sell. I think Railworks imported them. Just FYI.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/21/2020 10:27 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Guys;

I believe PRR did a small number of G22B with mesh flooring to minimize the effects of cement build up, but they did not do this on most or all G22B. It is a cool look, but not necessary on your models. They also did an interior that included container "dunnage" to keep the containers in place, like so:

Here are some other container photos.

Elden Gatwood

Attachments:
PRR G22B 353415 interior locking.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/0
PRR G22B 775416 HB2 containers 1941 Hagley.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/1
PRR G22B CR#547367 Altoona PA 10-79 RJ Burg #735.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/2
PRR G22B HB4 container IMG_8918.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/3
PRR G22B HB4 container IMG_8920.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/4
PRR G22B HB4 container IMG_8921.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/169440/5
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Rob;

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but two questions come to mind:- when they increase capacity by changing the trucks . . . doesn't that mean the car frame and body are being subjected to higher loads? Is there a sense that cars with the heavier trucks end up wearing out faster than cars with the lower capacity trucks?
Yes, and yes. I read some correspondence on this, and PRR was cognizant of wearing cars out earlier, but went with it where they thought the car capable of taking it. Note that PRR did NOT do this on their USRA gons, a weak design.

- were cars with the containers free roaming - as in across the continent - or prone to PRR turf? I've not seen a photo of one in the Frost collection (West Coast Canada) for example.
They were generally in dedicated service from a cement plant to cement user. A dolomite facility to a steel mill; like that.

Elden Gatwood