Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

Some call it Duquesne Yard, others, Duquesne Way Yard, or others, 11th St Yard (it isn’t).  At times, the PRR did not name it as a specific yard, just tracks serving Duquesne Freight Station.  Like 23rd St Freight Station had tracks, but PRR did not call them 23rd St Yard, so what do you call the yard?

Here are some more of Carson St Freight Station yard tracks.

Had you seen these?

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 7:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

There are a couple fresh-looking X23 boxcars, too. 

I didn't know the freight facilities at the Point in Pittsburgh was known as Duquesne yard.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 4:27 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.4369051.CP

Radial Roof NP, Frisco, PRR “Buy War Bonds” X29….

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

Eldon,

I had not seen these images! Thank you for sharing. Are they on the Historic Pittsburgh site?

A Pennsy X26 is featured in one of those images and it looks like it is wearing the original lettering. I have seen very few in-service images of these cars in original lettering.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 6:05 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Eric;

Some call it Duquesne Yard, others, Duquesne Way Yard, or others, 11th St Yard (it isn’t).  At times, the PRR did not name it as a specific yard, just tracks serving Duquesne Freight Station.  Like 23rd St Freight Station had tracks, but PRR did not call them 23rd St Yard, so what do you call the yard?

Had you seen these?

Elden Gatwood

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

I periodically go in to the Pitt Digital library to see new stuff, or do research, and these showed up in the Pittsburgh City Photographer collection.  Most of it is street work, paving and such, but some have freight cars peripheral to the subject.

That’s very true.  I don’t know why they are uncommon.  It’s not like there weren’t thousands wandering around out there.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

Eldon,

I had not seen these images! Thank you for sharing. Are they on the Historic Pittsburgh site?

A Pennsy X26 is featured in one of those images and it looks like it is wearing the original lettering. I have seen very few in-service images of these cars in original lettering.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 6:05 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Eric;

Had you seen these?

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

The Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection has been a gold mine of inspiring images. I'm now focused on the B&O Allegheny Yard Branch which followed the river bank from the Willow Grove yard at Herr's Island down to the Pressed Steel Car Company plant just beyond Brunot Island on the Ohio River. The BR&P also had trackage rights to the School Street yard and a nearby freight house.

I can't model it all six miles of the branch but there are portions from Willow Island Yard to the Manchester Bridge that will end up as my layout. The public works documentation from the early Teens into the mid-1930s has been remarkable.

I had planned to do research at the Heinz Regional History Center a couple of weeks ago to explore the images and files that are not on line, but that has been postponed to someday.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 7:18 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Eric;

I periodically go in to the Pitt Digital library to see new stuff, or do research, and these showed up in the Pittsburgh City Photographer collection.  Most of it is street work, paving and such, but some have freight cars peripheral to the subject.

That’s very true.  I don’t know why they are uncommon.  It’s not like there weren’t thousands wandering around out there.

Elden Gatwood

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

It sure is.

That’s an interesting area.  I don’t know enough about PSC, but have it on my list.  Some of these photos show exactly what one needs to model freight for these industries.

They did such a great job of documenting this rapidly modernizing area, and accompanying RR changes over time.  Much, much better than my timeframe.

Elden Gatwood

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

The Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection has been a gold mine of inspiring images. I'm now focused on the B&O Allegheny Yard Branch which followed the river bank from the Willow Grove yard at Herr's Island down to the Pressed Steel Car Company plant just beyond Brunot Island on the Ohio River. The BR&P also had trackage rights to the School Street yard and a nearby freight house.

I can't model it all six miles of the branch but there are portions from Willow Island Yard to the Manchester Bridge that will end up as my layout. The public works documentation from the early Teens into the mid-1930s has been remarkable.

I had planned to do research at the Heinz Regional History Center a couple of weeks ago to explore the images and files that are not on line, but that has been postponed to someday.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 7:18 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Eric;

Elden Gatwood

David

The single-sheathed NKP box in the fourth pic is particularly curious: ex-Clover Leaf with retrofitted Dreadnaught ends??? I had no idea any such thing existed.

David Thompson

Ray Breyer

It's a rebuild. In the mid-1920s, after USRA control, the NKP began a rebuilding program for a lot of their older boxcars and gondolas. Most got steel center sills, and a few thousand older boxcars got a variety of steel ends (I've counted seven different types). I've seen at least one other photo of one of the ex-Clover Leaf Fowlers with Dreadnaught ends, but they were by no means common.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 05:51:24 PM CDT, David via groups.io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

The single-sheathed NKP box in the fourth pic is particularly curious:
ex-Clover Leaf with retrofitted Dreadnaught ends??? I had no idea any
such thing existed.

David Thompson