Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] image from Homestead, PA in 1915

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

Some classes of PRR gons had chains on the end sills to act as a safety feature in case the cars uncoupled.  The chains were as-built features of classes GR and GRA, and were removed in twenties/thirties rebuilds.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 2:45 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] image from Homestead, PA in 1915

Mill gondolas had drop-door ends to haul loads that were longer than the car. These may extend onto another car with a bearing plate for the load to ride upon. The chains are a safety to keep the cars together in case of coupler failure.

I don’t know if the chain connections were a requirement for these loads. In reviewing the Loading of Materials section of the 1919 Car Builder Directory, I do not see the chain connections noted with loads spanning multiple cars.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alex Huff
Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 11:53 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] image from Homestead, PA in 1915

The BR&P gon has what I think are "safety chains" on the end sill.  Three links are to the right of the coupler, two links and a hook are to the left.  Was this "system" ever an industry requirement?  If not, how widespread was it?  When was it discontinued or least no longer maintained.