From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: Blockedhttps://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: Blockedhttps://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9

Josh

How purple are we talking? I visited the Bell Hill fluorite mines in Utah two years ago, which you can see in this picture : https://www.flickr.com/photos/drgw223/42474153820/
And one of the underground shafts with the veins running through the walls: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drgw223/44233769692/in/photostream/
Where the veins of mineral reach the surface, the ground was fluorescent. It's a surreal experience in person. So I echo the sentiment, I dare you to model it!

Richard Townsend

I have a gondola loaded with purple glass “frit “ to represent a fluorospar loaf.

On Sep 9, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:

How purple are we talking? I visited the Bell Hill fluorite mines in Utah two years ago, which you can see in this picture : https://www.flickr.com/photos/drgw223/42474153820/
And one of the underground shafts with the veins running through the walls: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drgw223/44233769692/in/photostream/
Where the veins of mineral reach the surface, the ground was fluorescent. It's a surreal experience in person. So I echo the sentiment, I dare you to model it!

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

That’s great, Richard!

Elden Gatwood

How purple are we talking? I visited the Bell Hill fluorite mines in Utah two years ago, which you can see in this picture : Blockedhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/drgw223/42474153820/