Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Question about weathering

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I agree with everything you all have said, and only add that I go slowly, and look at the results of each step before moving on.

The attached are examples of different processes, to get where I want them.  Each one used a different process.

I think they look a bit garish close up, but that is not what I want the final product to achieve.  I want them to look right in a train, or on a siding, on my layout.

My favorite techniques are: beginning washes, often with tube oils like brown/burnt umber/dark grey, to make rivets and junctures pop, then light dry-brushing of rivet heads and details, sometimes chalk or lighter or darker base color rubbing if the prototype looks like that, potential board by board coloring, and a final blending coat of lighter or darker base color by airbrush.

I have always found weathering to be intimidating, but so important.  IMO, a “finished” model without weathering, looks like a toy, not a small version of the prototype.

There is a lot of disagreement on this subject.  I have had more than one person say to me, “I can’t understand how you could ruin a perfectly good model like that!”  It is obviously the eye of the beholder.

Finally, I use my grit-blaster to remove weathering if I hate the end result.  It works really well, if you go slowly and evaluate the results as you go along.

Elden Gatwood