Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

There is little I can see to tell us where this yard is, but that Canadian National gon may be a hint.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:49 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Bob and friends,

Well . . . the Hershey car is a lot easier to see if you flip it because Artstore has presented it backwards (see attached). The car (HERX 2215) was leased from North American and came from series 2124-2239. It was an RB bunkerless refrigerator built in 1960, with 8' doors and roller bearing trucks. Like many North American cars, the color was orange.

There is a photo of sister car HERX 2205 on page 57 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, THE SERIES, VOL. 3. This photo was taken in 1976, and shows that a Hershey Foods banner had been added to the right of the door where the small assignment letter is on 2215. It was from this photo that I was able to glean the information on HERX 2215.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

Blockedhttps://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Elden,

This info is on the site beside the image.

Title

Rutherford Yards

Work Type

b&w photograph

Images

Date

Harrisburg, PA

Rutherford Yards

Measurements

16x20

inches

Description

View of track conditions at Rutherford yards showing conclusively that signals must be given on left side.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:10 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

There is little I can see to tell us where this yard is, but that Canadian National gon may be a hint.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Bob and friends,

Well . . . the Hershey car is a lot easier to see if you flip it because Artstore has presented it backwards (see attached). The car (HERX 2215) was leased from North American and came from series 2124-2239. It was an RB bunkerless refrigerator built in 1960, with 8' doors and roller bearing trucks. Like many North American cars, the color was orange.

There is a photo of sister car HERX 2205 on page 57 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, THE SERIES, VOL. 3. This photo was taken in 1976, and shows that a Hershey Foods banner had been added to the right of the door where the small assignment letter is on 2215. It was from this photo that I was able to glean the information on HERX 2215.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Blockedhttps://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Excellent!  Thanks, Eric!

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Elden,

This info is on the site beside the image.

Title

Rutherford Yards

Work Type

b&w photograph

Images

Date

Harrisburg, PA

Rutherford Yards

Measurements

16x20

inches

Description

View of track conditions at Rutherford yards showing conclusively that signals must be given on left side.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:10 PM

Elden Gatwood

Bob and friends,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

BlockedBlockedhttps://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jack Mullen

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
There is little I can see to tell us where this yard is
As Eric said, the answer is in the descriptive info. There's a bit more info, (and more photos) if you go to the actual Cornell site:
https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434277
   Title:   Rutherford Yards   Collection:  U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs   Set:   Reading Railroad: Rutherford Yards and Steelton Industries   Date:   1960   Site:   Harrisburg, PAYou can use the links to see the entire set or the whole collection.  The photos in the collection are generally well identified, as they were evidence in a labor dispute.Jack Mullen

John Sykes III

Years ago, Tyco or AHM or the likes had a Hershey wood reefer.  I saw one at a show several years ago and grabbed it for $2.00 for the novelty.  Turns out that the road number was accurate, HERX 1038.  Built by ACF for Hersheys.  The car has a 7/18 build date and 6/38 reweigh date on it.  I have no idea if they are accurate.  I added some weight and put Kadee trucks and couplers on it and put it into service on my layout.  Note that this car would have been seen more often on the Reading than on my Mid-state PRR layout since Hershey, PA was serviced by Reading (there was a passenger station on or immediately adjacent to the Hershey property).

John Sykes III

By the way, my information indicates that these cars were not used to transport chocolate bars, but were used to transport milk in 10 gal cans to the Hershey plant from outlying farms.  Hershey was (and may still be) the largest consumer of fresh milk in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  Hershey owned the farms and leased them to farmers who, in turn, sold all their milk to Hershey.  Hershey would inspect the farms regularly for sanitation.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi John and List Members,

Thanks John for the good info.

This does raise the question though... if the cars were NOT used to transport chocolate bars, then what WERE the chocolate bars transported in? Chocolate in an ordinary boxcar in the July sun - I don't even want to think about it!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:13 AM

By the way, my information indicates that these cars were not used to transport chocolate bars, but were used to transport milk in 10 gal cans to the Hershey plant from outlying farms.  Hershey was (and may still be) the largest consumer of fresh milk in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  Hershey owned the farms and leased them to farmers who, in turn, sold all their milk to Hershey.  Hershey would inspect the farms regularly for sanitation.

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Claus;

The obvious answer would be in iced reefers, but the presence of that Hersheys car in Pittsburgh begs the question, what was it doing THERE?

I am always looking for more info on loads….

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:33 AM

Hi John and List Members,

Thanks John for the good info.

This does raise the question though... if the cars were NOT used to transport chocolate bars, then what WERE the chocolate bars transported in? Chocolate in an ordinary boxcar in the July sun - I don't even want to think about it!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Elden wrote:

Claus;

The obvious answer would be in iced reefers, but the presence of that Hersheys car in Pittsburgh begs the question, what was it doing THERE?

Well with the doors open on a team track, I’d say a load of something Hershey made was delivered.

Aren’t we all . . .??

Schuyler (BTW, thanks for the responses on my question about this car)

Elden Gatwood

_._,_._,_

Steven D Johnson

I have an HO Branchline Hershey reefer kit in the “chocolate” scheme, like this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/branchline-trains-ho-40-acf-urtx-428889793

Attached is a photo of a modern Hershey RBL (copied from feeBay), outside the scope of this group, but may be of interest to some.

Steve Johnson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Sykes III via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 8:58 AM

Years ago, Tyco or AHM or the likes had a Hershey wood reefer.  I saw one at a show several years ago and grabbed it for $2.00 for the novelty.  Turns out that the road number was accurate, HERX 1038.  Built by ACF for Hersheys.  The car has a 7/18 build date and 6/38 reweigh date on it.  I have no idea if they are accurate.  I added some weight and put Kadee trucks and couplers on it and put it into service on my layout.  Note that this car would have been seen more often on the Reading than on my Mid-state PRR layout since Hershey, PA was serviced by Reading (there was a passenger station on or immediately adjacent to the Hershey property).

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

There is also this model from Con-Cor...

Claus Schlund

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:19 PM

I have an HO Branchline Hershey reefer kit in the “chocolate” scheme, like this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/branchline-trains-ho-40-acf-urtx-428889793

Attached is a photo of a modern Hershey RBL (copied from feeBay), outside the scope of this group, but may be of interest to some.

Steve Johnson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Sykes III via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 8:58 AM

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Schuyler;

Can’t fault that reasoning!  Pittsburghers have always loved their Hershey bars!

Too bad we don’t have earlier and later photos of them unloading the car into a dray……

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:03 PM

Elden wrote:

Claus;

Well with the doors open on a team track, I’d say a load of something Hershey made was delivered.

Aren’t we all . . .??

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

Ee-gads, Man! That’s nearly as bad as saying Pittsburghers love Hunt’s catsup! A true Pittsburgher loves Clark bars! Made on the Nort Side and served by the Pennsy Fort Wayne line with a siding for freight cars.

As far as a load for that Hershey reefer, the company made other items beyond candy bars. Possibly there’s baker’s chocolate, chocolate powder, or other items being delivered. Since the photo shows the Try Street team yard, the items might be headed to local hotels, Duquesne University’s dining halls, a restaurant supplier in the Hill District, or even the kitchen in Allegheny County Jail. The car is here because the consignee is closer to this terminal than the Point, Strip District, North Side, or South Side team tracks.

Don’t forget, this might not be a whole car delivery, either.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Where you can’t find Clark bars….

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:20 PM

Schuyler;

Can’t fault that reasoning!  Pittsburghers have always loved their Hershey bars!

Too bad we don’t have earlier and later photos of them unloading the car into a dray……

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io

Elden wrote:

Claus;

Aren’t we all . . .??

Elden Gatwood

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

What on Gd’s green earth was Hunt’s and catsup?  I don’t recognize either of those things.  There was never anything but Heinz in our households.

Yes, we also loved Clark Bars (I was actually baby-sat by Candy Barr), but a Clark Bar was nothing like a Hersheys Bar, esp if you liked them with almonds!  Or, Reeses’ Cups!

I agree with you on all of that.  The variety of loads could be endless!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 4:28 PM

Ee-gads, Man! That’s nearly as bad as saying Pittsburghers love Hunt’s catsup! A true Pittsburgher loves Clark bars! Made on the Nort Side and served by the Pennsy Fort Wayne line with a siding for freight cars.

As far as a load for that Hershey reefer, the company made other items beyond candy bars. Possibly there’s baker’s chocolate, chocolate powder, or other items being delivered. Since the photo shows the Try Street team yard, the items might be headed to local hotels, Duquesne University’s dining halls, a restaurant supplier in the Hill District, or even the kitchen in Allegheny County Jail. The car is here because the consignee is closer to this terminal than the Point, Strip District, North Side, or South Side team tracks.

Don’t forget, this might not be a whole car delivery, either.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Where you can’t find Clark bars….

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:20 PM

Schuyler;

Elden Gatwood

Elden wrote:

Claus;

Aren’t we all . . .??

Elden Gatwood

Tony Thompson

Elden Gatwood  wrote:

Maybe delivering bulk chocolate for the Clark Bar factory (yum!) -- speaking of favorites in the 'Burgh.

Tony Thompson