From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:49 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Bob and friends,

Well . . . the Hershey car is a lot easier to see if you flip it because Artstore has presented it backwards (see attached). The car (HERX 2215) was leased from North American and came from series 2124-2239. It was an RB bunkerless refrigerator built in 1960, with 8' doors and roller bearing trucks. Like many North American cars, the color was orange.

There is a photo of sister car HERX 2205 on page 57 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, THE SERIES, VOL. 3. This photo was taken in 1976, and shows that a Hershey Foods banner had been added to the right of the door where the small assignment letter is on 2215. It was from this photo that I was able to glean the information on HERX 2215.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

Blockedhttps://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Elden,

This info is on the site beside the image.

Title

Rutherford Yards

Work Type

b&w photograph

Images

Date

1960

Location

Harrisburg, PA

Rutherford Yards

40.262000

-76.785

Measurements

16x20

inches

Description

View of track conditions at Rutherford yards showing conclusively that signals must be given on left side.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

There is little I can see to tell us where this yard is, but that Canadian National gon may be a hint.

Elden Gatwood

[...]

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Excellent!  Thanks, Eric!

BlockedBlockedhttps://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jack Mullen

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
There is little I can see to tell us where this yard is
As Eric said, the answer is in the descriptive info. There's a bit more info, (and more photos) if you go to the actual Cornell site:
https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434277
   Title:   Rutherford Yards   Collection:  U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs   Set:   Reading Railroad: Rutherford Yards and Steelton Industries   Date:   1960   Site:   Harrisburg, PAYou can use the links to see the entire set or the whole collection.  The photos in the collection are generally well identified, as they were evidence in a labor dispute.Jack Mullen

John Sykes III

Years ago, Tyco or AHM or the likes had a Hershey wood reefer.  I saw one at a show several years ago and grabbed it for $2.00 for the novelty.  Turns out that the road number was accurate, HERX 1038.  Built by ACF for Hersheys.  The car has a 7/18 build date and 6/38 reweigh date on it.  I have no idea if they are accurate.  I added some weight and put Kadee trucks and couplers on it and put it into service on my layout.  Note that this car would have been seen more often on the Reading than on my Mid-state PRR layout since Hershey, PA was serviced by Reading (there was a passenger station on or immediately adjacent to the Hershey property).

John Sykes III

By the way, my information indicates that these cars were not used to transport chocolate bars, but were used to transport milk in 10 gal cans to the Hershey plant from outlying farms.  Hershey was (and may still be) the largest consumer of fresh milk in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  Hershey owned the farms and leased them to farmers who, in turn, sold all their milk to Hershey.  Hershey would inspect the farms regularly for sanitation.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi John and List Members,

Thanks John for the good info.

This does raise the question though... if the cars were NOT used to transport chocolate bars, then what WERE the chocolate bars transported in? Chocolate in an ordinary boxcar in the July sun - I don't even want to think about it!

Claus Schlund