From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of erieblt2
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 2:07 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: UTLX 69755 Loading Hot Rosin (Circa 1960)

Sorry for an aside. For some unknown reason this picture Sparked an old memory. In the early 60’s I saw the result of a derailed overturned split open covered hopper at Parkville Junction on the Long Island Rail Road’s Bay Ridge Branch. The hopper was carrying tiny blue plastic beads to be made into...(?) ‘stuff’. It was everywherE! The mild wind blew the little spheres all around. I still have an empty 35mm film canister filled with the little pellets! I still wonder how they cleaned it up! It was inshovelable(?‘could not be shoveled’). Cleaning up wrecked reefer contents must also been tough! Celery !?! And spilled resin!!!!! Yikes! Bill S

On Oct 11, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: UTLX 69755 Loading Hot Rosin (Circa 1960)

A photo from the Science History Institute:

Blockedhttps://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/bk128b85n

Click and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Caption:

General view of the tank car loading station used to transport hot rosin at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Brunswick, Georgia. One of two Hercules plants specializing in naval stores, the Brunswick plant extracted rosin, turpentine, and pine oil from pine tree stumps in order to produce a range of chemicals used in the manufacture of varnishes, paints, adhesives, insecticides, textiles, and other industrial products. The employee visible adjusting the loading pipe on top of the tank car is identified as Clifford Martin.

Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA