Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Tanks Cars At Dow Chemical (1952)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jim, all;

22804 is an almost new 8,000 gallon ICC 103-W, so not pressure tanks, or acid tanks in the 1% dome format, but AC&F-built for lease to whoever, in this case, Dow Chemical. 22774 is slightly older than 22804. Both very common AC&F-built cars.

Sometimes stenciled with the intended contents, these do not appear to be.

It looks like the 22804 is spotted for filling via that filler overhead.

There are older 103's in the long string behind. There IS an acid tank in that string, 8th from right.

Two GATC-built cars to right.

Interesting mix of cars, and both with-, and without-dome platforms. Different manufacturers.

Also, a great mix of box cars behind. Lots of different heights and types of construction. NYC, MoP, who else?

Far in distance are some (I think) insulated pressure tanks, maybe ICC 105's, with valve casing "domes". There has to be a great range of products to support this varied a fleet of cars.

Anyone care to speculate about what the box cars are for? I think a hint might be the presence of those big distillation towers.....

Great pic!

Elden Gatwood

Looking at GATX 24991, might one surmise it’s in acid service? That doesn’t look like an expansion dome to me.

Jim Ogden
Argyle, Texas

Daniel A. Mitchell

Among many other things, like sodium hydroxide, DOW Midland made Saran Wrap. This would be shipped in boxcars.

Dan Mitchell