Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

That photo was the topic of much conversation when it first was posted on the Pitt site.

That and a group of adjacent photos were taken to document how utility improvements were affecting the ROW of the 3 railroads, P&LE specifically, being in foreground.

That SOU box car is, IMO, bound for the Gimbels warehouse on the Whitehall Branch of the PRR, to rear.  I would bet it has (or had) a load of furniture to be sold in the downtown headquarters of the Gimbels Department Store.  It and the Union RR gon are sitting in PRR’s 21rd St Yard which runs to right as stub tracks, and left to their juncture at 23rd Street.  PRR and P&LE used the Allegheny & South Side RR for local switching of the industries further downstream to right.

Elden Gatwood

Von: "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <
chiefbobbb@...>
An:
main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.3841794.CP/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA