Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR and other coke cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Doug;

The coke was quenched with water at the large plants, but it did not always behave.  Sometimes the pore space between hunks/chunks was too small to allow much water to penetrate, and it kept cooking.  There were also times the water cooked off too  quick, and chunks inside kept too hot.

There are some great photos of toasted box cars with hot coke still inside, while the wood is all burnt off.

I saw several cooked cars around the big by-products plants around Pittsburgh, growing up.  They were easy to ID.

The Morning Sun Color Guide on the Rock Island (IIRC), has a great one.

Elden Gatwood