Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Banned from Interchange - was Re: Real or no?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

I can’t find all my MW photos, but here are a couple.  PRR had batches of XL box cars converted to camp cars, flangers, etc.  I can attest also to them sitting most of the time, not being moved.  Prior to a move, there would be a small gang of guys that showed up to make sure they were movable and had working brakes.

Some PRR twins made it into MW is the fifties, as need for those cars dropped off.

My friend Al Buchan and I had many conversations about the challenges of running a MW fleet full of cars that were mostly ignored and long past their prime.  I wish we still had him here for us to talk about the various trains they populated.  He was one of the people charged with converting old HW Pullmans to combined KDRS-14 (kitchen,dining,recreation,sleeping for 14 men) when the XL’s and X23’s were deemed less populable for crews.

Elden Gatwood