Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Early PRR GS gondolas in PRR and Vandalia Line P&L

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

The GS, and G22 were sometimes used for hot pigs, slabs, and later, coil, that the earlier gons like GR/GRA couldn’t handle without torching the car, so those classes with steel sides and floor sometimes show up with scorched off P&L, necessitating sometimes emergency stencil work.  Scorched G22 attached.

The G24 (USRA), and G25 (USRA) were no good for that, either.  G26 and G27 went back to all-steel.

Even then there are occasionally wooden sided or floored gons that got burnt.

My GS offal car is one I like to think got burnt, restenciled, and is now in that most lowly of services.  You can smell it right through a photo alone!

Elden Gatwood