Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Early PRR GS gondolas in PRR and Vandalia Line P&L

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

The GS, and G22 were sometimes used for hot pigs, slabs, and later, coil, that the earlier gons like GR/GRA couldn’t handle without torching the car, so those classes with steel sides and floor sometimes show up with scorched off P&L, necessitating sometimes emergency stencil work.  Scorched G22 attached.

The G24 (USRA), and G25 (USRA) were no good for that, either.  G26 and G27 went back to all-steel.

Even then there are occasionally wooden sided or floored gons that got burnt.

My GS offal car is one I like to think got burnt, restenciled, and is now in that most lowly of services.  You can smell it right through a photo alone!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 11:21 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Early PRR GS gondolas in PRR and Vandalia Line P&L

I suspect the GS is hauling cinders to use as fill at this new Indianapolis freight house. It could also be fine rock to mix with cement to pour for foundations.

How about that fresh stencil work! We are used to seeing newer weigh and repack stencils, but someone upgraded the roadname here. I guess it was in worse shape then the car number.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of akerboomk
Sent: Thursday, December 3, 2020 10:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Early PRR GS gondolas in PRR and Vandalia Line P&L

Interesting the loads are (essentially) dead-flat (no mounding)

Ashes from a ash pit?

Something else?

--
Ken Akerboom