Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Dam you do good work, Jack!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack Burgess
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 3:36 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

I built six of these cars from Richard’s article since they were used on the YV to ship Bunker C to be transferred to logging tank cars which were then hauled up the incline to provide fuel for the Shay locomotives and donkey engines. The only hard part was kit-bashing the trucks. After I finished them I realized that I had too many on the layout and sold three of them on eBay including this one.

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

There are a few standard gauge V cars mixed in with the narrow gauge cars in the 55xxxx series with internal heating coils, but the main remaining series of cars were in the 14300 and 15999 series.

In the January 1954 ORER, there are 211 cars listed in that range, most of which have 50 ton capacity trucks, but 4 are still listed with 30 ton capacity (the old arch bar trucks, maybe?)

In the 1955 tank car tariff, there are still 6500 gallon tank cars listed in the range between 14052 and 14519.  There were no numbers in the 15xxx range in the 1955 tariff.

So, I can keep one of Richard’s PSC kitbashes in my long term schedule.

Steve Hile

Jack Burgess

Thanks Elden…

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

Dam you do good work, Jack!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack Burgess
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 3:36 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

I built six of these cars from Richard’s article since they were used on the YV to ship Bunker C to be transferred to logging tank cars which were then hauled up the incline to provide fuel for the Shay locomotives and donkey engines. The only hard part was kit-bashing the trucks. After I finished them I realized that I had too many on the layout and sold three of them on eBay including this one.

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

There are a few standard gauge V cars mixed in with the narrow gauge cars in the 55xxxx series with internal heating coils, but the main remaining series of cars were in the 14300 and 15999 series.

In the January 1954 ORER, there are 211 cars listed in that range, most of which have 50 ton capacity trucks, but 4 are still listed with 30 ton capacity (the old arch bar trucks, maybe?)

In the 1955 tank car tariff, there are still 6500 gallon tank cars listed in the range between 14052 and 14519.  There were no numbers in the 15xxx range in the 1955 tariff.

So, I can keep one of Richard’s PSC kitbashes in my long term schedule.

Steve Hile