Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

naptownprr

Thanks, Elden.  I guess I'm being too obvious.

Jim Hunter

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of naptownprr <jhunter@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 3:54 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [External] Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

This message was sent from a non-IU address. Please exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments from external sources.

I suggest that "foobie" may have some relation to "boobie."

Jim Hunter

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:49 PM

This message was sent from a non-IU address. Please exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments from external sources.

Guys;

I can attest to the fact that “foobie” was a term in use in SoCal while I was living there, mid-late 80’s at earliest, early 90’s at latest, to refer to a certain part of female anatomy enhanced or altered, thereby, not real, but fake.

I suspect, not fact, that it originated in surfer & skateboard cultures, since that is where I first heard its frequent usage.

It has been taken up by others, but I heard it many times in bars, surf hangouts, restaurants, etc., in that timeframe.

It is good use of that term in our hobby!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:36 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

I thought "foobie" had some relationship to "FUBAR." F[ouled] up beyond all recognition.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 11:27 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

Dave

I searched through my saved emails archive and the earliest use of the term (which was clearly already
in use at the time) was back in 2007. I also searched through my archive of saved rec.models.railroad
(the old Usenet) messages and there are no occurrences of "foobie" - but I found MANY uses of the word
"bogus". So my guess is that we began using the word sometime around the start of the century. :-P

Here is a July 2009 email from David Hussey -

Subject: [MFCL] What constitutes a Foobie?

What constitutes a Foobie? After reading all this debate, maybe we need to grade them.

Foobie 1a: An accurate car with minor mistakes in decorating (dates, COTS, ACI, capacity)
Foobie 1b: An accurate car with major mistakes in decorating (wrong number series, wrong color)

Foobie 2: A semi accurate car with detail mistakes for the decorating (wrong roof walk, high vs low brake)

Foobie 3: An semi-inaccurate car for the decorating (wrong door size)

Foobie 4: A car that is right for one scheme and totally bogus for others (The B&0 40 Hi-Cube, F box decorated for xxx)

Foobie 5: A Stand In, Something close in detail with an accurate scheme (Maybe the same F Box decorated for xxx)

Foobie 6: Nothing correct (Tyco warbonnet GP20)

Your mileage and rating can (and will) vary.

Someone's Foobie can be another person's favorite model, until "we" collectively rain on their parade. Maybe we can get the NMRA to require this printed on the box after a select secret panel votes on the rating.

Tongue somewhat firmly planted in cheek<g>.

Dave Hussey

On 2/23/2021 1:11 PM, Dave Nelson wrote:

I always assumed it was a Richard Hendrickson-ism.  It’s been on used on STMFC for such a long time, probably going all the way back to Tim O’Connor’s e-mail list.

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ray Hutchison
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:28 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

....I first started seeing it on the Steam Era Freight Car list (STMFC) with a RR twist."  

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

It does!

Good to see you still participating.  Great issue of TKM!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of naptownprr
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

Thanks, Elden.  I guess I'm being too obvious.

Jim Hunter

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of naptownprr <jhunter@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 3:54 PM

I suggest that "foobie" may have some relation to "boobie."

Jim Hunter

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:49 PM

Guys;

I can attest to the fact that “foobie” was a term in use in SoCal while I was living there, mid-late 80’s at earliest, early 90’s at latest, to refer to a certain part of female anatomy enhanced or altered, thereby, not real, but fake.

I suspect, not fact, that it originated in surfer & skateboard cultures, since that is where I first heard its frequent usage.

It has been taken up by others, but I heard it many times in bars, surf hangouts, restaurants, etc., in that timeframe.

It is good use of that term in our hobby!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:36 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

I thought "foobie" had some relationship to "FUBAR." F[ouled] up beyond all recognition.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 11:27 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

Dave

I searched through my saved emails archive and the earliest use of the term (which was clearly already
in use at the time) was back in 2007. I also searched through my archive of saved rec.models.railroad
(the old Usenet) messages and there are no occurrences of "foobie" - but I found MANY uses of the word
"bogus". So my guess is that we began using the word sometime around the start of the century. :-P

Here is a July 2009 email from David Hussey -

Subject: [MFCL] What constitutes a Foobie?

What constitutes a Foobie? After reading all this debate, maybe we need to grade them.

Foobie 1a: An accurate car with minor mistakes in decorating (dates, COTS, ACI, capacity)
Foobie 1b: An accurate car with major mistakes in decorating (wrong number series, wrong color)

Foobie 2: A semi accurate car with detail mistakes for the decorating (wrong roof walk, high vs low brake)

Foobie 3: An semi-inaccurate car for the decorating (wrong door size)

Foobie 4: A car that is right for one scheme and totally bogus for others (The B&0 40 Hi-Cube, F box decorated for xxx)

Foobie 5: A Stand In, Something close in detail with an accurate scheme (Maybe the same F Box decorated for xxx)

Foobie 6: Nothing correct (Tyco warbonnet GP20)

Your mileage and rating can (and will) vary.

Someone's Foobie can be another person's favorite model, until "we" collectively rain on their parade. Maybe we can get the NMRA to require this printed on the box after a select secret panel votes on the rating.

Tongue somewhat firmly planted in cheek<g>.

Dave Hussey

On 2/23/2021 1:11 PM, Dave Nelson wrote:

I always assumed it was a Richard Hendrickson-ism.  It’s been on used on STMFC for such a long time, probably going all the way back to Tim O’Connor’s e-mail list.

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ray Hutchison
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:28 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Foobie

....I first started seeing it on the Steam Era Freight Car list (STMFC) with a RR twist."  

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts