Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Burning Box Car

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Charlie;

Good point, and I found a whole bunch of correspondence that led to PRR applying things like double flooring (their term), and/or 24” steel plating for interior sides, to keep hot coil loads, for one, from torching floors and linings.  Before that, poof.

It didn’t entirely solve the problem.

For wooden-floored gons, a layer of cinders was applied around steel blocking, to keep the heat from the floor, and that didn’t always work, either.  Plenty of cars burst into flame in hot roll or slab service.

There were series’ of cars:

Coil Strip Steel, XMP

Hot Rolled Steel

31

64400-65399

66400-66899

66900-67399

X37b

X37a

X37b

62

21

10

Eqpt w/double flooring and 24 inch steel plates around inside of car for hauling coils of hot rolled steel

Hot Rolled Steel, FMS

60

473859, 473880, 474025, 474130, 474152, 474512, 474748, 474765, 474922, 474943, 475259

F30a

11

Eqpt w/low side rails for hauling hot rolled steel

Hot Rolled Steel, FMS

67

473765-475265

F30a

40

Eqpt w/double flooring for hauling hot rolled steel

Also in hot roll service, that I’ve been trying to find more info on.  If you have photos of any of these, I’d sure like to see them!

Elden Gatwood