[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR G25, X40 and F37

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

Just to add to what Ben said, the X40 were part of the “lightweight” fad taking place at the time.

The thinking was that reduction of dead weight in a car, particularly in service like LCL, could be lowered, cost savings.

Unfortunately, with the failure of dedicated LCL, these cars were cascaded into other service, resulting in them being overloaded sometimes.

They did not hold up well in general service, and other less than robust car classes also suffered.

PRR’s answer much after the fact was to only build box cars with much-reinforced side sills, including sometimes door gussets, either on rebuilds or as new.

Elden Gatwood