[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

PRR had some intentionally doorless cars they put in dedicated coke service, but accidentally doorless cars were not unheard of, with cribbing taking the place of a need for a door.

Coal and coke were both loaded into box cars early on, when hoppers/gons were unavailable, or in the event weather protection was desired.  I’ve seen correspondence on both, by a variety of parties.

You all have seen this photo.  How cool is that?

For coal loads, the boards were close together.

There is a lot of correspondence out there on the travails of this service, including disappearing doors, spilled loads, and coke-torched box cars.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 10:51 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Hi Ken and List Members,

Good catch, Ken, I had not noticed that. If loading coal into a boxcar, perhaps a door is optional and the opening will be covered over agian with cribbing after loading but before departure? Or perhaps only use the door on the other side?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 10:39 PM

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Is the door missing on this car?

Is there some type of cribbing inside the doorway?

Ken Montero

> On 06/23/2021 12:42 PM robert netzlof <rtnetzlof@...> wrote:
>

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
>
> > B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907
>
> > https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/039674

> 72948 Look at the 4 digits visible on the end.
>
> --
> Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob
>
>
>

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Elden and List Members,

Elden wrote: "There is a lot of correspondence out there on the travails of this service, including...coke-torched box cars"

On this list we were recently discussing coke manufacturing at Monongah No 8 Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, WV in 1907, link below...

I will point out that the coke - which is much more likely to burst into flames due to inadequate quenching - is being loaded into hoppers of all-steel construction. The coal - a load that is unlikely to catch fire on its own - is in the composite (wood and steel) gons. I can't help thinking they *intentionally* avoided loading the coke into the wood-and-steel gons - makes sense!

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Folks;

PRR had some intentionally doorless cars they put in dedicated coke service, but accidentally doorless cars were not unheard of, with cribbing taking the place of a need for a door.

Coal and coke were both loaded into box cars early on, when hoppers/gons were unavailable, or in the event weather protection was desired.  I’ve seen correspondence on both, by a variety of parties.

There is a lot of correspondence out there on the travails of this service, including disappearing doors, spilled loads, and coke-torched box cars.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Hi Ken and List Members,

Good catch, Ken, I had not noticed that. If loading coal into a boxcar, perhaps a door is optional and the opening will be covered over agian with cribbing after loading but before departure? Or perhaps only use the door on the other side?

Claus Schlund

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Ken Montero

>

>
> > B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907
>

>
> --
>
>
>

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Claus;

I wish I could say that was so, but LOTS of coke, sometimes hot, was loaded into composite cars:  box cars, gons, hoppers.  Lots of torchings!

There are some great photos and stories of torched cars.

My favorite pic is in the Rock Island Color Guide.

Elden Gatwood

Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Hi Elden and List Members,

Elden wrote: "There is a lot of correspondence out there on the travails of this service, including...coke-torched box cars"

On this list we were recently discussing coke manufacturing at Monongah No 8 Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, WV in 1907, link below...

I will point out that the coke - which is much more likely to burst into flames due to inadequate quenching - is being loaded into hoppers of all-steel construction. The coal - a load that is unlikely to catch fire on its own - is in the composite (wood and steel) gons. I can't help thinking they *intentionally* avoided loading the coke into the wood-and-steel gons - makes sense!

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 11:37 AM

Folks;

Elden Gatwood

Hi Ken and List Members,

Claus Schlund

Ken Montero

>

>
>

>
> --
>
>
>