[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O ds trussrod boxcar (72448 maybe?) at Pittsburg and Fairmont Fuel Company WV in 1907

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

PRR had some intentionally doorless cars they put in dedicated coke service, but accidentally doorless cars were not unheard of, with cribbing taking the place of a need for a door.

Coal and coke were both loaded into box cars early on, when hoppers/gons were unavailable, or in the event weather protection was desired.  I’ve seen correspondence on both, by a variety of parties.

You all have seen this photo.  How cool is that?

For coal loads, the boards were close together.

There is a lot of correspondence out there on the travails of this service, including disappearing doors, spilled loads, and coke-torched box cars.

Elden Gatwood