From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 8:42 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Walthers Proto PRR X29b

We’ve been discussing these and the other PRR new releases on the PRR groups.Io page.

Consensus is be skeptical until you see a model.

Also, the Pennsy merchandise service cars did Not run in dedicated trains like this so it’s a weird marketing strategy.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 15, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Brian LaManna <brianlamanna@...> wrote:

List,

Walthers announced an X29b in their Proto line but no model pictures have been included.  They’re currently only offered for preorder in large sets.

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

Tim O'Connor

Could these be ex-C&BT tooling ?? Didn't
Dick Schweiger cut molds for one of the PRR X29 rebuilds ?

IMO $500+ has just got to be aimed at wealthy train set buyers. I read Marklin did very well in 2020 so
maybe that's what Walthers is thinking.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/15/2021 10:46 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Group;

No one on the PRRT&HS Modeling Committee worked with Walthers on these projects, as far as I can determine.  Given the unique features of the X29B, we will just have to see the actual products.

Elden Gatwood

PRRT&HS Modeling Committee, Chair

We’ve been discussing these and the other PRR new releases on the PRR groups.Io page.

Consensus is be skeptical until you see a model.

Also, the Pennsy merchandise service cars did Not run in dedicated trains like this so it’s a weird marketing strategy.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 15, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Brian LaManna <brianlamanna@...> wrote:

List,

Walthers announced an X29b in their Proto line but no model pictures have been included.  They’re currently only offered for preorder in large sets.

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

Sterling, Massachusetts

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim;

I heard that for a number of years, but never saw any evidence it happened.  Given the undercuts on the side sill/u/f, I have doubts it was ever done, but I guess we will see.

Elden Gatwood

We’ve been discussing these and the other PRR new releases on the PRR groups.Io page.

Consensus is be skeptical until you see a model.

Also, the Pennsy merchandise service cars did Not run in dedicated trains like this so it’s a weird marketing strategy.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 15, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Brian LaManna <brianlamanna@...> wrote:

List,

Walthers announced an X29b in their Proto line but no model pictures have been included.  They’re currently only offered for preorder in large sets.

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Elden

I vaguely recall seeing test shots from Dick, but maybe my memories are all mashed together... :-D
At least I'm pretty sure he -talked- about it.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/19/2021 9:09 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Tim;

I heard that for a number of years, but never saw any evidence it happened.  Given the undercuts on the side sill/u/f, I have doubts it was ever done, but I guess we will see.

Elden Gatwood

Could these be ex-C&BT tooling ?? Didn't Dick Schweiger cut molds for one of the PRR X29 rebuilds ?

IMO $500+ has just got to be aimed at wealthy train set buyers. I read Marklin did very well in 2020 so
maybe that's what Walthers is thinking.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim;

I asked about it many times, but never saw any actual evidence.  I gave up asking after the Sunshine hybrid kit became available…

Elden Gatwood