Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rails and Hoists for Spools of Rayon

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tom;

I am the one who provided that research, but have been unable to verify who generated the loads, or a photo that shows stenciling for routing.

I suspect these may be re-purposed “silk” cars, but have not put in the time to examine various ORERs for car numbers.

For 1964:

64529, 64649, 64710, 64872, 64977, 65130, 65139, 65307, 65314, 65317, 65332, 65386;

66549; 67025, 67048;

67361, 67394;

69307, 81148, 81189

X37b

X37a, X37b,

X31a  dd

12

1, 4

3

Eqpt w/racks and hoists for hauling spools of rayon yarn on beams

Yet another research project….

Elden Gatwood

as well as at oldchesterpa.com

Drew Marshall

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Jul 8, 2020, at 17:55, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:
There was a large rayon factory (American Viscose Corp.) in Front Royal, Virginia, served by the Norfolk & Western Railway - which was controlled by the Pennsylvania Railroad during our time period.

Ken Montero

On 07/08/2020 4:08 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Rayon was made from cellulose fiber, and I know there were mills in the Pacific NW in NW Washington State served by the Northern Pacific and in W Va served by the Western Maryland, IIRC.  I'd be wondering if the PRR cars were for another mill, perhaps in the Northern Tier of Pa which was heavily forested.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

There was an American Viscose Rayon plant in Lewistown, PA, served directly by the PRR, that operated from 1921 until 1974. In the 1950's the captive service rayon cars for this plant consisted of 18 PRR X37B boxcars. It is my understanding that the rayon from this plant was primarily used in tire manufacturing.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

tmkprr1954

Kenneth Montero wrote
Jul 8

"There was a large rayon factory (American Viscose Corp.) in Front Royal, Virginia, served by the Norfolk & Western Railway - which was controlled by the Pennsylvania Railroad during our time period."

The January ORER also has 34 N&W boxcars (50500-51999 series) equipped with "Rayon Yarn Beams".

I also found 10 B&O cars (467000-46799 series) equipped "for handling tire cord yarn".

This would echo Bruce's understanding of rayon use in our era.

Still looking for more references in the ORER!

Tom Kane
Modelling the PRR in 1954 (ish)
PRRT&HS 8188
Purcellville, VA