From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Chapman
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:38 PM
To: STMFC E-List <main@Realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] NJI&I Postwar AAR Boxcar – Front Range Upgrade #1

Circa 1990, Front Range offered styrene kits for variations of postwar AAR boxcars with R-3-4 improved dreadnaught ends and diagonal panel roofs, a cache of which I unburied in my pandemic project to drain the stash of long-slumbering styrene kits. One of the variations is a 12-panel welded car with 8-foot doors – a prototype fielded by Wabash subsidiary NJI&I, which acquired two 50-car series in 1/50.

The Front Range carbody is nicely executed, but with add-on parts well below contemporary standards. New parts include a Yarmouth Models US Gypsum runningboard, Kadee 7/7 ladders/bracket grabs/Miner brakewheel, and Kato ASF A-3 trucks. Front Range’s deep fishbelly sidesill was modified to NJI&I’s more conventional pattern. Decals are from K4, which offers an amazing variety of secondary road choices. No weathering – once in a while we need a fresh car. Interestingly, the prototype lettering is “wrong side”. (Anyone know why?)

For those not already NJI&I modelers (!) – the New Jersey, Indiana & Illinois was a short line created by Singer Sewing Machine to connect its South Bend plant to the Wabash 11 miles south; the roadname comes from the three states hosting Singer plants. Acquired by Wabash in 1926, it was operated as a separate subsidiary. Completing these undecs has added the fun of modeling prototypes that I would never have dreamed of pulling off the shelf at the LHS.

Regards,

Bob Chapman