Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956) now PRR cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Thanks, Claus!

Note that these cars were designed at a time that engineers (the design kind) were trying to figure out how to make cars resistant to excessive bending (or failure), and had not yet figured out the best way to do it.  PRR’s answer was to rivet multiple strips of steel together to resist that bending, resulting in the look shown in these photos.  The top down of 425018 is instructive.

Since the sides adjacent to the hole were weaker, it was PRR’s intent to spread the load over the ends, like in photo of 425004.

B&M had similar intent on their well cars, which were used for big GE products.  Big girders with end feet transferred the load over the ends, like 425004.

I had the luck to see an ex-PRR F37B (IIRC) on DoD property at one point, and crawled all over it.  What an anachronism!

Eventually, PRR went to GSI for a better replacement, the F49 shown.  What a beautiful car!!!

Elden Gatwood