Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Block of cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Dave;

“Block” is definitely a railroad term, and refers to a string of cars destined to an intermediate or final destination from which the block may be broken up or re-classified, like the following:

LM4  “Spark Plug”  Cincinnati to Pittsburgh (Scully)  (Daily) MON DIV DROP OFF

Consist: (after Columbus) All freight, except livestock for Pgh and Mon Division points.

Make Up:  Block 1:  Eastern Div. To Pgh (Penn Street), inclusive.

Block 2:  Pittsburgh (Produce Yards) and Pgh (11th Street) ONLY.

Block 3:  Pgh Div points, Pittsburgh (Duquesne) to E. Pgh, inclusive (not Mon!)

Block 4:  Pgh Div points to Dravosburg, exclusive, and Mon Div, Dravosburg to Fairchance, inclusive.  (3/31)

Block 5:  Panhandle Division, etc. to Pgh (Try St.), etc.

This freight did not traverse Mon Div, but likely left Block #4 for pick-up, maybe by ___, for distribution on Mon, as above, after arrival at Scully at 3:30 a.m..

-by ’52 ends in Pitcairn not Scully, Block 2 was Mon Div cars that were dropped off at Thomson around ~9:00 a.m. for connection w/MA50.

I have seen it in documents from the thirties, at least, so it is old school.

I don’t remember “lash-up” being used by railroaders, but I don’t remember everything clearly. J

Elden Gatwood