Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Conductor's Train List - GB&W 1945 now PMcK&Y gon

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I can’t believe you didn’t jump all over the PMcK&Y gon!  It is fabulous!

You’ve got a great starting point:  the Westerfield P&LE gon.  The diagonal load securing is very do-able.  Maybe the ends are a bit of a challenge, but still very do-able.

C’mon, some has to model that car and load!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:54 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Conductor's Train List - GB&W 1945

Andy;

I think your PMcK&Y gon is like these brothers.

Note the odd replacement end P&LE put on at least some of these guys, and the replacement handbrake.  The diagonal load is just icing on the cake.

Based on how gons were sometimes “borrowed” into service on roads that might not have enough gons, they sometimes ended up in an odd rotation in serving some type of industry that had a need.  Unusual, but not surprising.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy Laurent via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:10 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Conductor's Train List - GB&W 1945

Gents,
Since one sheet of an AT&SF train list was so interesting, I'll share a copy of a book from a Green Bay & Western Railroad conductor in January-February 1945 that is in my collection.  I tried to attach this to a message awhile back, but it didn't go through...I will link to it instead.

GB&W Conductor's Book 1945

Most of the trains in the book are through-freights, Trains #1 and #2 between Winona, MN and the Pere Marquette & Ann Arbor carferry connections at Kewaunee, WI.  Mr. Hansen's territory seems to be primarily between Green Bay ("0") and Wisconsin Rapids ("96"), with alternating out and back work days. Common stations are:
AA or PM -carferries at Kewaunee 
24 -Black Creek (SOO) 
40 -New London (C&NW) 
70 -Amherst Junction (SOO)
212 -East Winona (CB&Q)
214 -Winona (MILW+CGW).
A station number key can be found in the left column of the industry list here.

As for reporting mark abbreviations, he uses "Q" for CB&Q, "StP" for CMStP&P, "K" for KGB&W (home road), "Penn" for PRR, sometimes "C" for C&NW, and "-" as a ditto mark. There are some interesting occurrences, including gondola PMcK&Y 92481 showing up in his train several times in 2 months!

Enjoy!
Andy Laurent
Madison, WI