Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bob, Guys;

Fabulous photo, fabulous car, fabulous load.

I think these cars were well cars, not well hole cars, though.  I have not seen documentation that the floor was removable, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

This class of RDG well flats is a great counterpoint to those made by NYC, P&LE and PRR, among others.  The use of a well strapped to the side sills (as well as to inner members), and use of various steel shapes, all heavily riveted together in various ways, is fascinating.  One can compare similar design thinking to PRR’s F25 and FN & F37 designs.

I LOVE well cars! 

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 12:43 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

Blockedhttps://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=3607476

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built 1924, photo taken 1938 or later.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

I looked up the Reading car in the ORER and it is listed as a FW, a well hole car.  I use the classification in the title of photos I download.

Bob Amsler

St. Louis, Missouri

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Bob, Guys;

Fabulous photo, fabulous car, fabulous load.

I think these cars were well cars, not well hole cars, though.  I have not seen documentation that the floor was removable, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

This class of RDG well flats is a great counterpoint to those made by NYC, P&LE and PRR, among others.  The use of a well strapped to the side sills (as well as to inner members), and use of various steel shapes, all heavily riveted together in various ways, is fascinating.  One can compare similar design thinking to PRR’s F25 and FN & F37 designs.

I LOVE well cars! 

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 12:43 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

Blockedhttps://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=3607476

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built 1924, photo taken 1938 or later.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA