Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bob, Guys;

Fabulous photo, fabulous car, fabulous load.

I think these cars were well cars, not well hole cars, though.  I have not seen documentation that the floor was removable, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

This class of RDG well flats is a great counterpoint to those made by NYC, P&LE and PRR, among others.  The use of a well strapped to the side sills (as well as to inner members), and use of various steel shapes, all heavily riveted together in various ways, is fascinating.  One can compare similar design thinking to PRR’s F25 and FN & F37 designs.

I LOVE well cars!

Elden Gatwood