Topics

[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] USRA open cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Clark;

There is a great summary of the USRA 46’ gons on the Westerfield instruction sheet.

What a great subject for one of our great hobby publications!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 9:45 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] USRA open cars

Is there a list somewhere of USRA Hoppers and or Gondolas?

I’ve got a C&IM Accurail kit I’d like to know if I should build, or repaint.

Thanks,

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Benjamin Hom

Elden Gatwood wrote:
"There is a great summary of the USRA 46’ gons on the Westerfield instruction sheet.

What a great subject for one of our great hobby publications!"

Probably worthy of an extensive treatment similar to that in the latest Railway Prototype Cyclopedia; however, the definitive article remains James E. Lane’s article in the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society’s “Railroad History, No. 128” published Spring 1973.  Copies are readily available on the secondary market.

Ben Hom

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Thanks for that, Ben!

I would love to also get the complete picture of how the cars were upgraded over time, as many of the owners did a variety of things to keep them serviceable.  Folks on the list continue to ask complicated questions about things like re-roofing, door replacements, end door replacements, etc.  The Westerfield 46’ gon, for instance, Al did not address for the long-term picture, unfortunately, but would be a great target for a follow-on producer to tackle (think 46’ drop ends).

On a related subject, is anyone familiar with this door Rich Burg found a photo of?

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 10:06 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] USRA open cars

Elden Gatwood wrote:

"There is a great summary of the USRA 46’ gons on the Westerfield instruction sheet.

What a great subject for one of our great hobby publications!"

Probably worthy of an extensive treatment similar to that in the latest Railway Prototype Cyclopedia; however, the definitive article remains James E. Lane’s article in the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society’s “Railroad History, No. 128” published Spring 1973.  Copies are readily available on the secondary market.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Elden Gatwood wrote: 
"I would love to also get the complete picture of how the cars were upgraded over time, as many of the owners did a variety of things to keep them serviceable.  Folks on the list continue to ask complicated questions about things like re-roofing, door replacements, end door replacements, etc..  The Westerfield 46’ gon, for instance, Al did not address for the long-term picture, unfortunately, but would be a great target for a follow-on producer to tackle (think 46’ drop ends)."

Al Westerfield put a considerable amount of effort to offer the different variations for the boxcars and triple hoppers; my guess is that after the Walthers model was issued, any variations fell to the back burner.  It might yet be something that Andrew could be interested in depending on the work involved and roads offered.

"On a related subject, is anyone familiar with this door Rich Burg found a photo of?"

It's the same door as the one appearing on the Class X36.  There was quite a bit of cross-pollination between the various rebuild/upgrade/new construction programs of the 1930s (ex: salvaged X28 auxiliary doors), so it's not surprising it appears on a Class X26 that's been through the 1930s upgrade program.

Ben Hom
_._,_._,_

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Ben;

I thought it looked like it, but have no proof.  I will try to find the correspondence once I can get back into the archives.  I had never seen that treatment before.

The USRA cars mods on the PRR are incredibly complicated.  The more I dig, the more questions I add to the stack.  B&O and P&LE look much more systematic.  I get that PRR was being experimental in their thinking, but whew, makes writing about it an endless process.

Thanks again for your insights!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 10:41 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Elden Gatwood wrote: 

"I would love to also get the complete picture of how the cars were upgraded over time, as many of the owners did a variety of things to keep them serviceable.  Folks on the list continue to ask complicated questions about things like re-roofing, door replacements, end door replacements, etc..  The Westerfield 46’ gon, for instance, Al did not address for the long-term picture, unfortunately, but would be a great target for a follow-on producer to tackle (think 46’ drop ends)."

Al Westerfield put a considerable amount of effort to offer the different variations for the boxcars and triple hoppers; my guess is that after the Walthers model was issued, any variations fell to the back burner.  It might yet be something that Andrew could be interested in depending on the work involved and roads offered.

"On a related subject, is anyone familiar with this door Rich Burg found a photo of?"

It's the same door as the one appearing on the Class X36.  There was quite a bit of cross-pollination between the various rebuild/upgrade/new construction programs of the 1930s (ex: salvaged X28 auxiliary doors), so it's not surprising it appears on a Class X26 that's been through the 1930s upgrade program.

Ben Hom

Clark Propst

Richard Hendrickson posted a list of USRA hoppers with his article on the Accurail car when it was introduces in RMJ.

Clark

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Clark and List Members,

Try the link below...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 12:12 PM

Richard Hendrickson posted a list of USRA hoppers with his article on the Accurail car when it was introduces in RMJ.

Clark

Brian Stokes

Having just recently researched the gons for an O scale Intermountain build, there are a few good sources out there on the 50 ton composite gons: 

Railmodel Journal Feb 2000

“USRA Composite Gondola: Construction in HO Scale,” Robert
Hundman, Mainline Modeler, September 1981

Jul-Aug81 Mainline Modeler

"USRA Freight Cars" by James Lane in Railroad History, No. 128 (The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Spring 1973)

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

akerboomk

See here for all I know about:

https://www.bmrrhs.org/gondola_90000_series/#REFS

Same as Brian S, although I add the Mainline Modeler May 2006 issue

If there are other reference materials out there (particularly the source of the plans in the May 2006 MM) I’d appreciate the info

[Un?]fortunately, that is the only open top USRA car the B&M had…

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom

Brian Stokes

Ken et al., 

I forgot to mention the 1919 Car Builder's Cyclopedia, which has drawings of all of the USRA cars and it is no longer under copyright. You can find it through HathiTrust here https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015006057858&view=1up&seq=5

There is also Ted Culotta's great presentation on the USRA 50ton gons and modelling an L&M version from the 2018 St. Louis RPM. I found a copy floating around on the internet...

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48