From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of spsalso via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 12:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Increasing slope sheet angle on hoppers

In 1955, GN changed the slope sheet angle on some of their 73000-73199 hopper cars:

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/2300/2301.jpg

from about 30 degrees to 55 degrees, and renumbered them into the 73700-73764 series.  The cubic capacity dropped from 1622 to 1253.

I've asked after this matter on the GN group.  Nobody knows why.

So I'll bring the subject up here.

What load would GN have modified these cars for?

I'm interested in factual knowledge, and also informed speculation, since I have doubts anyone knows specifics on this matter.

My suspicion is that it was for "ore", or what most civilians would call "dirt".

I will also speculate that if the "ore" were no longer being transported, they'd be prized as hopper cars that would dump just about anything.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

GN later modified these cars for two uses - the first cars were cut down in height, and a hatched roof was added.
These cars were in zinc ore service. The other cars also received hatched roofs but not cut down, and received new
outlets as well. Those cars were in company sand service. The end slope sheets were unchanged as far as I can tell.

On 12/17/2020 1:18 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Ed;

There were other roads that modified hoppers for powdered ore traffic, with the rationale that:  1) powdered ore had the tendency to “stick” in place on “standard” (read: 30 degree) sloped slope sheets and hoppers (the interior hopper), and  2)  that cars loaded with powdered ore were never loaded to cubic capacity, since ore is so much heavier than coal, thus you were not losing space you could have used.

Different RRs had different responses to this problem.  Some went to the jennie/jenny, but that was a lot of money.  If you had hoppers you no longer really needed, why not?

Elden Gatwood

Sterling, Massachusetts