[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chemical Vessel On Southern And L&N HD Flatcars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I never did figure out all the details on these super HD flat cars (I tried), but this is a great illustration as to how they were used.

The rotating load supports are very cool.

Best I could figure out was that these were GSC castings of ~300-ton capacity, mounted on 4 x 6-wheel roller bearing trucks.  There weren’t a lot of these around:  PRR (similar), Southern, L&N, C&NW.  Those little “webs” connecting the bottom and top flanges with the side seemed to have been a thing on these super HD flats.  There was a little dialog I read on how these were supposed to reduce concentration of stresses to minimize chances of cracking.

Thanks for sharing that great photo, Bob!

Elden Gatwood

Photo: Chemical Vessel On Southern And L&N HD Flatcars

Photo from the Pullman Library:

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-R-S/i-GjXMwgB/A

Click on the photo twice for maximum enlargement.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA